Permit and Resource Management Department Banner

Vacation Rentals Complaints

Submit a Complaint

If you experience problems with a nearby vacation rental property in unincorporated Sonoma County, follow this process for submitting a complaint:

Important: Do not put yourself in harm's way when making a complaint. Call 911 if you feel your safety is in jeopardy or there is an emergency.

1. Call the Property Manager

Call the vacation rental's property manager informing them of the problem. To find the property manager's phone number:

  1. Go to the Permit History Lookup and search for the property address.
  2. Look for permits containing "Vacation Rental" in the Description. The property manager's phone number should also be listed in the Description and may be called 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

2. Response Time

Wait for a response from the property manager. The property manager is responsible for contacting the renters to correct the problem within 1 hour or within 30 minutes during quiet hours. Quiet hours are from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM.

3. Submit a Complaint Online

If you do not hear back from the property manager or the issue is not resolved during the required response time frame, submit a complaint online to Permit Sonoma using the complaint form located below:

  • In describing your complaint, be specific. Don't say: "It's always loud over there." Instead say something like: "Loud music was played from midnight until 2am on Saturday, March 5, 2016." or "Amplified music went on for 2 hours after I called the property manager at midnight on Saturday, March 5, 2016."
  • Be sure to use the specific date and time of the incident and the date and time you called the property manager, as well as their response or lack of response.
  • Enter the full address of the property. For complaints about more than one property, you must submit a separate complaint for each property.
  • Attach any relevant photos you can safely and legally obtain. (Attach them to the email that is generated when submitting the form below.)

Submit a Complaint About a Vacation Rental (PDF Form: 110 kB)

Please open separately in a PDF reader software (such as Adobe Reader). Or save the filled out PDF form onto your computer, then email as an attachment to:

Contact Information

Contact Us by Phone
9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Tuesday – Wednesday
12:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Thursday – Friday
9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Permit Sonoma
2550 Ventura Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.465074, -122.723705

More Resources

Sonoma County Transient Occupancy Tax
Information and Forms

Permit History Lookup
Find out if an address has a Vacation Rental Permit, and find out the Property Manager's 24/7 phone number.

Zoning Information
Find out your property's zoning or if the Williamson Act Land Contract applies.