In order to be considered for rezoning, sites must have met these basic requirements:
- Site must be located in the unincorporated County.
- Site must be located within an established Urban Service Area where public sewer and water service is available.
- Site must not be located within a Community Separator.
- If a site is near an incorporated city, it must not be located outside of a city's Urban Growth Boundary.
In addition to these criteria, the General Plan sets forth additional criteria to be used in considering which sites to rezone for housing (Housing Element Policy HE-2f and Programs 11 and 20). These factors include proximity to jobs, transit, services, and schools.
The Workforce Housing Combining Zone has additional eligibility criteria:
- Site must have commercial or industrial base zoning.
- Site must be located within 3,000 feet of a transit center, or within 3,000 feet of at least three acres of commercial-zoned land or 10 acres of industrial-zoned land.