5131 Warm Springs Road appears to have been constructed c. 1916 by Pierre and Anastasia M. Larinie. Pierre Larinie was born in France in 1871 and his wife Anastasia (née Bouscat) was born in 1867, also in France. The couple married in 1897 and had two daughters, Marie and Martha. In September 1906, the family emigrated from France to San Francisco, where Anastasia’s brother J. B. Bouscat was already established. At the time of their arrival, Pierre Larinie was listed as a farmer, although once settled in San Francisco he was employed as a cook in a French laundry. From 1906 through 1916, the Larinies lived on Mendell Street in what is now the Bayview neighborhood of San Francisco. This area supported a large French population during that time, in part due to a concentration of French-owned tanneries. By 1917, the Larinies were no longer listed in the San Francisco city directory, and it appears that they had resettled in Glen Ellen.
In 1920, the United States Federal Census records Peter (Anglicized from Pierre) Larinie and his wife Marie A. (possibly “A.” is Anastasia) as operators of a summer resort in Glen Ellen (although there is no street name given, the location is listed as “west Glen Ellen”) (Figure 16). By this time, the Larinie’s daughter Marie had married John Pierre Cambou, another French immigrant, who was born in 1896 and arrived in the United States in 1909. John Cambou, who went by Johnny, and Marie had a son Ernest in 1918, and in 1920 were both employed as attendants at the nearby Sonoma State Home (now the Sonoma Developmental Center). The Larinies and the Cambous were one of many families regarded as part of a “French Colony” in Glen Ellen, who gathered regularly for large parties and celebrations with French food, music, and dancing.
By 1930, the Cambous and the Larines were all living on Warm Springs Road, although it appears that they may have been operating the property as a summer resort less formally at this time, if at all: Peter Larinie was not working in 1930, and John Cambou was employed as a farm laborer. In 1932, Peter Larinie died in Glen Ellen, after which time Marie (Anastasia) Larinie moved to Santa Rosa. It appears that Johnny Cambou may have begun operating the property at 5131 Warm Springs Road, which he called Rocky Terrace, after the death of his father-in-law.
Johnny Cambou is remembered to have operated Rocky Terrace for decades. Cambou was a flamboyant personality who hosted notoriously rowdy parties at his resort. The resort was popular with French families, as well as the French consulate from San Francisco. Lore holds that the resort hosted industry magnates, including John Black of Standard Oil, movie stars including Ina Claire, and nobility including Prince and Princess Romanoff, all of whom were served Cambou’s homemade French cuisine, which included the traditional French frog’s legs, collected from a reservoir down the street from the resort. In the recollection of Cambou’s daughter-in-law Jean Signorotti, Cambou sometimes hosted dinners for over 30 people, and people came from all over the Bay Area to enjoy the exceptional dinners and hospitality of Cambou’s Rocky Terrace.
It is not known precisely when John and Marie Cambou ceased operating Rocky Terrace. Resort business in Glen Ellen generally waned after rail service stopped, and then declined more steeply during the Depression and World War II. Directories of Santa Rosa rural routes list the family here though the 1950s, although by 1961 they lived in Santa Rosa where John Cambou was employed by Wells Fargo. In the 1970s the property was owned by another French family, Louis and Adrienne Rigal, who had formerly owned the Edward Hotel in San Francisco. It appears, from later permit records, that the resort was operating as a multi-unit apartment complex, and then ceased operation for some time. In 1983, the property was surveyed as an “old resort”, with the intention of conversion to a bed and breakfast. In 1984, new owners Luis and Lorraine Pasini, of nearby Kenwood, CA, applied for and were granted permission to convert the vacant property, which was noted at that time to have included four residential units in the single family dwelling and four residential units in the gust building, to a bed and breakfast. The buildings were renovated so that the residential building was again used as a residence by the owners, and the guest building included six rooms. The parking structure existed on the property at this time. The bed and breakfast, called the Glenelly Inn, opened in 1986.
In 1987, the property was purchased by Gray B. Mattox, who continued to operate the inn. Mattox renovated the basement level of the residential building to include two rooms for personal use, and in 1989, applied to convert these rooms to guest use. The application was rejected because the area had been rezoned rural residential. Mattox appears to have successful in a 1990 application to rezone the property, which is currently zoned recreational and guest serving.
In 1990, the property was owned by Ingrid Hallamore and her daughter Kristi Hallamore Jepperson. Under their ownership, the small pool was installed in 1990 and the two contemporary cottages were built in 2002 (Figure 17). The current owners undertook further renovation of the property in 2011, including the conversion of the first story of the residential building to guest services. These renovations included the partial reconfiguration of the primary (south) façade of the residential building to remove the front stair and entry, and installation of several new windows, creating a continuous band of windows at the breakfast room. At this time, the residential building’s shingle siding was removed and replaced with a horizontal wood siding to match the guest building. Window and doors were replaced, generally in kind, at the guest building. No changes were made to the footprint of any buildings during his renovation. The inn now includes twelve rooms.