Permit and Resource Management Department Banner

Use Permits Instructions & Forms

A Use Permit application is required for development projects that are typically more intensive than Permitted Uses. Use Permit applications often require a public hearing before the Board of Zoning Adjustments. When processed with a Zone Change and/or a General Plan Amendment, the public hearing will be before the Planning Commission.

Examples of uses requiring a Use Permit are:

Use Permits are discretionary in nature, and, if approved, will include conditions of approval. A Use Permit can only be approved if found to be consistent with each of the following:

On this page:

Go Back to Planning Instructions and Forms

How to Submit Planning Applications Electronically

For continuity of operations over the next several weeks, customers will have the option to submit planning applications electronically. Because our online permitting portal is not yet configured for Planning e-submittals, the submittal process will take place by email.

Please follow the process to submit a planning application online.

The County of Sonoma began to accept applications for Cannabis permits on July 5, 2017. View instructions and forms necessary for obtaining Cannabis-related use permits in unincorporated Sonoma County for the categories listed below:

  • Cultivation
  • Dispensaries
  • Distribution and Transportation
  • Manufacturing

Minor – Live Work

All listed forms and instructions must be completed and submitted.


PJR-053 - Live/Work Uses


Wineries and Winery Events

A use permit is required for wineries and winery events.

Winery Use Permit Applications Process

Use Permit Process Video

Contact Information

Contact Planning by Phone
Monday – Friday
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
2550 Ventura Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.465074, -122.723705

What's My Zoning?

Parcel Search

Zoning and Land Use Map fragment

Find your property's zoning and land use by address or parcel number.

Sonoma County Cannabis Program

Learn More

Sonoma County Cannabis Program

Permits for cultivation and distribution, taxes, policy, personal use, and more.

Accessory Units & Junior Units

Find Out More

Accessory Unite

An inexpensive way to create smaller, more affordable rental housing units to Sonoma County residents.

Vacation Rentals

Obtain a Vacation Rental or Hosted Rental permit.

Procedure for applying electronically for a vacation rental or hosted rental permit.

Submit a complaint about a Vacation Rental.

Become certified as a Property Manager for a Vacation Rental property.