Special Events/ Cultural Events are defined in the Sonoma County Zoning Ordinance as periodic special events which attract a large gathering of people such as parades, concerts, festivals, races, or any large gathering where amplified music, advertisement to the general public, or a fee is charged.
Special Events are allowed with a zoning permit in the following zoning districts: AR, AS, C0, C1, C2, C3, DA, K, LC, LEA, LIA, M1, M2, M3, MP, PC, R1, R2, R3, RR, RRD, RRDWA, and TP, except they are prohibited in vacation rentals in the LIA, R1 and RR Districts.
A zoning permit is required for events that have any one or more of the following characteristics:
- Live amplified music.
- An admission fee.
- More than one-day event or a one-day event beyond the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Overnight sleeping accommodations.
- An event occurring more than once in a 30-day period.
- Publicized to the public at large through printed advertisements, newspaper, radio or tv.
- Sale of food or beverage.
The following are not Special Events/Cultural Events and therefore do not require a zoning permit:
- Events conducted entirely within dedicated rights-of-way where encroachment/special event permits are obtained from the County or State.
- Events entirely within a building for which all necessary County permits have been obtained and which allow the particular use.
- Events at fairgrounds or outdoor spectator facilities where a use permit has already been obtained.
A Fire Permit will be required for all of the above including but not limited to:
- Amusement buildings.
- Carnivals and Fairs.
- High-Pile Storage.
- Open Burning.
- Places of Assembly.
- Pyrotechnic Displays and Effects.
- Tent 200 square feet and greater and Canopy 400 square feet and greater.
- All others listed in the California Fire Code Chapter 1.