Tent Permitting and Inspections
California Fire Code Chapter 31
All temporary tents and membrane structures greater then 400 square feet require a fire permit and inspection. Tents when approved by the Fire Code Official may be exempt.
Guidelines for Temporary Tents, Canopies and Membrane Structures for Outdoor Business Operations
These guidelines were developed to establish reasonable prescriptive guidance and supplemental clarification to the general requirements established in the State Blueprint for a Safer Economy for outdoor dining, bars, pubs, brewpubs, and breweries when such businesses are required to operate outdoors.
Temporary Tent Permit Application Forms
Minimum Site Plan Requirements Diagram
If you are having trouble viewing this form or need assistance please contact the main office at (707) 565-2361.
The site plan shall be detailed to include the following information:
- Overall site plan to show the property and roads
- A detailed site plan
- Location of the required fire access roads
- Location of tent structures
- Location of parking
- Location of cooking or catering area
- Seating arrangement
- Location and number of exits from tent structure
- Fuel fired equipment or internal combustion engines
- Location of other structures
- Total occupant load based on use
- Size of tent structure
- Number of wall or openings
- Anchorage type and fastening system to ground
- Distance from buildings
- Building exits near temporary tent location
The applicant or owner shall provide a minimum:
- Billing or mailing address
- Address of tent structure location
- Contact number
- Dates the tent structure will be erected
Occupant Load and Exiting
Code Reference Table 3103.12.2
Every temporary tent structure based on the occupant load shall have a minimum number of exits based on the table listed:
Access, Location and Parking
All access shall be in accordance with amended section of Section 503 of the fire code.
Tents shall not be located less then 20 feet from property lines, parking areas, buildings and internal combustion engines. Support ropes and guide wires shall be considered part of the tent. See fire code for exemptions.
Signage and Emergency Illumination
All tents shall be equipped with no-smoking signs and exit signs.
Illuminated exit signs and egress illumination shall be provided when the temporary tent will be used at night or the tent is required to be illuminated based on occupant load greater then 50 persons.