Permit and Resource Management Department Banner

Roiling Permits

Sonoma County requires a roiling permit [PDF: 62 kB) for work or operations in a river, stream, or channel which may decrease the clarity of jurisdictional waterways. Work on these projects cannot start until after the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors has approved the application for a Roiling Permit. This requirement is to help ensure water quality and environmental protection. Examples of situations that that you’d need a roiling permit include:

  • To protect riparian property adjacent to a river or stream.
  • To construct recreational dams.
  • To perform construction work on riparian property, the nature of which may decrease the clarity of the waters of the river or stream.
  • To construct temporary bridges, dikes, dams and settling ponds in connection with mining operations, or for agricultural uses.

Depending on your project, your roiling permit application may require permits, waivers, or certifications from Fish and Game, Army Corps of Engineers, and the California Regional Water Quality Control Board.

Contact Information

Contact us by Phone
Monday – Tuesday
Thursday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
10:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Permit Sonoma
2550 Ventura Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.465074, -122.723705


Inspections Types, Ways to Schedule and About Building Inspections