Permit and Resource Management Department Banner

How to Submit Encroachment Permit Applications Electronically

An encroachment permit is required anytime work is conducted in a County of Sonoma public right-of-way such as water line, sewer lines, construction of curbs, gutters, sidewalks or driveway aprons, vegetation removal with chipper equipment, or special event.

If you need assistance determining which forms and materials are required, please send us an email at:

1. Ensure You Have a Complete Application

Please follow the process below to prepare to submit an Encroachment Permit type application online.

Ensure you have a complete application:

  1. ENC-001 Application for Encroachment Permit (PDF)
  2. A complete site plan.
  3. The following items are required, if they apply, in order to issue the Encroachment Permit and are strongly encouraged to be submitted with the application:
    1. Copy of contractor’s certificate of liability insurance in accordance with ENC-002 Insurance Requirements for Encroachment Permits.
    2. Traffic control plan meeting Caltrans MUTCD standards.
    3. If the Encroachment Permit is not related to a building permit then a bond of either $5,000 or $10,000 will be required depending on the work type.

2. Application Submittal

Send Encroachment application materials to:

  1. Applications are required to be submitted as one merged PDF file. View instructions
  2. In the subject line of the email include the property address or parcel number and type of encroachment permit application.
  3. If the application is determined to be complete for submittal, you will receive an email with an invoice for the required application fees.
  4. If the application is incomplete for submittal, you will be notified of the required revisions or missing materials.

3. Account Linking

Link your permit to your online account.

Once staff have given you your permit number(s):

  1. Register for a Permits Online account if you do not have one already.
  2. Submit this form to request that your Permits Online account be linked with your permit(s):  Account Linking Form

4. Fee Payment

Pay for the application online.

  1. An application will be considered accepted upon receipt of payment.
  2. Once you receive the application invoice, please visit our online permitting website and
    1. Select ‘Pay Fees’ on the home page.
    2. Enter the Record Number and select ‘Search’.
    3. Select the ‘Payments’ Tab at the top and then ‘Pay Fee’ on the right side of the invoice line.
    4. Follow the instructions from there.
  3. Please email to notify us that you have paid.

Contact Information

Contact Engineering by Phone
2550 Ventura Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.465074, -122.723705