• heavy equipment at work


An encroachment permit is needed to conduct activities in the “public right of way,” which is public property in unincorporated Sonoma County such as roadways, driveways, sidewalks, curbs, and gutters. You need an encroachment permit if any structure, object or improvement is placed or constructed in, under or over any public right of way.

Examples of activities that require an encroachment permit if conducted in the public right of way include:

  • Dumpsters, storage bins,or debris boxes
  • Fencing
  • Landscaping
  • Mailboxes, placement of
  • Public utilities repair and installation
  • Roadway widening
  • Scaffolding, temporary placement of
  • Signs, posting of
  • Special Events – Events such as parades, marathons, bike races, street fairs, etc. that will occur in the public right of way
  • Trenching and excavations

Latest News

Contact Information

Contact Engineering by Phone
2550 Ventura Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.465074, -122.723705

Special Permits