How to Combine PDF files
Permit Sonoma electronic application submittals via our Online Permitting Tool must include all documents in one merged PDF file. Please name files as requested in the instructions for each permit type. Below are instructions for merging a PDF file.
Important: Executable files, .zip files, and other unsafe file types are disallowed for upload.
Merging PDF files for Online Permitting Tool Submissions
Using Adobe Acrobat to Merge Files
- Open Acrobat DC to combine files: Open the Tools tab and select "Combine files."
- Add files: Select "Add Files" and select the files you want to include in your PDF. You can merge PDFs or a mix of PDF documents and other files.
- Arrange and delete content: Click, drag, and drop to reorder files or press "Delete" to remove any content you don't want.
- Combine files: When you're finished arranging, select "Combine Files".
- Save as a PDF file: Name your file and select the "Save" button.
Using Adobe Acrobat to merge protected files (password for files required)
- File -> Create for creating a new PDF file.
- Choose “Combine Files Into a Single PDF” option.
- Select Add File, add all the PDF files you want to merge.
- Add password of the locked PDF files.
- Select Combine.
- File -> Save As to save the PDF file.
Paper Documents into a PDF
- Paper documents should be scanned all at once into a single electronic document.
- This can be accomplished at home, by your contractor or engineer, or at a local copy shop.
Important Note About Technical Support
Technical Support: Permit Sonoma staff do not currently have the capacity to provide technical support on a case by case basis. We ask customers to troubleshoot as much as possible in order to ensure a more expedited process. Google is a great resource to look up “How Tos.”