

North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council

NOTICE OF MEETING AND AGENDA In Person Meeting: Kenwood Depot 314 Warm Springs Rd, Kenwood, CA 95452



August 15, 2023 5:30 PM

Contact: Hannah Whitman, Board Aide for Supervisor Susan Gorin – hannah.whitman@sonoma-county.org

As of March 1, 2023, the Governor has rescinded the Emergency Proclamation related to the COVID-19 pandemic. With this recission, all Boards, Councils, and Commissions following the Brown Act must return to meeting in person with some limited exceptions for individual appointed and elected officials on a case-by-case basis.

Remote participation by the public may continue if there are sufficient staff resources to allow this option. For the August 15 meeting of the North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council, we will be offering a hybrid option for the public to view the meeting and make public comment. Please note this is a new development and we have limited staff resources, so this option is subject to technical difficulties.

North Sonoma Valley MAC Councilmember Vicki Handron will be participating in the meeting via teleconference from 37 Coast Guard Ave., South Kingston, RI 02879. This agenda shall be posted at that location.

Zoom Conference Meeting

https://sonomacounty.zoom.us/j/95330341745?pwd=b2FoS2d3aGxOTUVDdC9Xb0I5VTgvUT09

Passcode: 579414

Meeting ID: 953 3034 1745

Dial by your location: +1 (669) 900-9128 US (San Jose)

Due to the potential for technical difficulties, it is recommended that members of the public who wish to address the commission consider attending in person, or submitting comments in advance via e-mail to Hannah Whitman, Board Aide for Supervisor Susan Gorin, at hannah.whitman@sonoma-county.org

1. Call to Order, Pledge of Allegiance, Roll Call

Start: 5:35pm

Eagles: Pledge, Land Acknowledgement, Vice Chair Dawson?

Dawson: We acknowledge that the citizens and community served by the NSV MAC, occupy the unseeded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok, closely related to neighboring indigenous peoples: Pomo, Wapo, and others. Asking forgiveness for past transgressions they and their ancestors experienced, we humbly invite them to join us in person or in spirit as we give gratitude for their ongoing stewardship of this place since time in memorial. Recognizing how much we benefit from their continuing presence as culture keepers and teachers, we commit ourselves to building positive and lasting relationships with our local indigenous community and to honor all the diverse peoples in our region.

Roll

Present: Eagles, Dawson, Nardo-Morgan, Oldroyd, Newhouser

Absent: Dickey, Galindo, Handron

2. Approval of July 18, 2023 minutes

Resolution

Motion

First: Dawson

Second: Newhouser

3. Public Comment Receive

(Limited to items not appearing on the agenda)

Eagles: No written public comment received. Any public comment here or on Zoom?

No public comment

4. Supervisor Gorin Update

Receive

 Discussion and community input on the future County Regional Center in Sonoma Valley

Gorin: Did not have board meeting last week, today had meeting longer than expected. Good discussion on funding that was approved by Continuum of Care, for homeless service providers, including Homeless Action Sonoma. I've been advocating to support them, have been pulling themselves up by the bootstraps. They have welcomed people into the tiny homes, probably will be outreaching to volunteer labor to create community garden. Each tiny home has desk, bed, mattress, bedding, artwork on the wall. Still need some help, long term vision, permanent supportive housing on the site. Following that message, there will be item on the Board of Supervisors agenda next week, on the 22nd, outlining some changes county is proposing to serve homeless challenged population. Set up as emergency tents on parking lot of Permit Sonoma. Tents need to come down before rains come in. Proposing parcel of land between Main Adult Detention Facility, freeway, for safe parking for RVs, third of lot filled tiny homes. As well as facilities for wraparound services, mobile showers, etc. Hope board will say yes, go forward. Never been fan of tiny homes at Los Guilicos. Remains one of most expensive operations we finance, yet, functions beautifully, managed beautifully. Can't say enough about management from St Vincent dePaul. Tiny homes falling apart, not meant for long term living accommodation. Proposing to take two wings of former juvenile hall, create more stable housing. Concrete block, needs renovation and modernization. Common areas, culinary activities. What I have been asking for number of years, make use of those buildings. Those two wings moving forward. Received funding for a locked juvenile psychiatric facility. Valley of the Moon Children's Home also moving forward and applying for step up license to treat foster children. Residential treatment program. Another thing happening at Los Guilicos, UC Master Gardeners has accepted, agreed for lease for them, renovating space just north of solar panel array. Encourage you to take tour of that area, going to rehab the facility for teaching classes, demonstration gardens, drought tolerant, negotiating for additional land. Also had presentation from Sonoma Water on their climate adaptation plan, good presentation, 77 action items. There will be dashboard coming forward on health, can look at Dashboard at efforts of Health Services, moving forward on becoming an even healthier community. Accepted contract for Jeff Duvall as permanent Emergency Management Director, update on outreach we have been doing as a county to Maui. Just heard that Maui is a fire wise community, have been working on resiliency and defensible space. We've been there, they will be figuring it out. I know this community will be generous to Maui Strong. Serve on Unincorporated Communities ad hoc with Supervisor Hopkins. How do we assess the service needs, what are the real pressing issues that you think to be addressed. Arthur going to be part of listening session tomorrow, with representatives from other unincorporated areas.

Dawson: Would love to do a brainstorm now if possible.

Gorin: Update on Nelson Building, regional services hub. Still completing tenant improvements. So far, not sure how it's going to function. Hopefully will have Health and Human Services, Karina will have an office there, I will be there part time of course. Fortunately, whole building full of furniture, saved us a bunch of money. Conference room has large tables, expect to use that as community meeting space. Also scheduling community meeting Sept 28, at Sonoma Valley Unified School District office, to hear from the community, what does the community want to see, what kind of services do they need? Incredible opportunity for community to access county services in Sonoma Valley and not have to drive to Santa Rosa. Many services online, sometimes impenetrable to even sophisticated folks. Bilingual assistance there, can schedule appointments.

Eagles: Questions or comments?

Oldroyd: Tours available for tiny houses in Sonoma?

Gorin: Can contact Homeless Action Sonoma.

Oldroyd: When talking about Los Guilicos, talking about those old buildings?

Gorin: The pallet shelter homes. If want to go into LG Village, or, if have gone to the concerts at Fridays at the Hood, the old juvenile hall has wings, it's surrounded by fence. CalFire has rehabbed former Sierra Youth Center, which is one of the wings.

Newhouser: Regarding outreach, fielding ideas for needs for the community, how do you do that? We can show up, give the county ideas for what we perceive. Any plans to do outreach that could show, not just targeted questions on what kind of needs, but also some information on what kinds of needs could actually be met. Needs county can fulfill.

Gorin: Hope that Health and Human could provide introduction on what services that think they will be providing on site. Know that eligibility workers are going to be essential, many folks in need of help navigating through eligibility assistance. Could be mental health, could be sign ups for social security, veterans coming in. Could be a lot of things, but I don't want to suggest we have all the answers. That's why we're having a public meeting.

Nardo Morgan: Saw the shelters at Los Guilicos before, was under the impression at that time, not that well built, that they were really an interim solution. Now thinking of keeping them long term?

Gorin: Cost of setting them up was so much higher, then you needed to level them, get address numbers, work with Permit Sonoma. Even though had solar panels, needed to be wired, electricity 24/7. Needed sprinklers set up. Six damaged when Glass Fire went thought. Opportunity to move people out of uninsulated shelter. Yes, will be expensive to rehabilitate the two wings, but will be much more substantial.

Nardo Morgan: How is Oakmont feeling about that?

Gorin: Keep asking Tina Rivera, better talk to Oakmont.

Nardo Morgan: Thrilled about Master Gardener situation. Pretty sure they had farmers market, was it Valley of the Moon?

Gorin: Suspect it was Oakmont gardeners. Master Gardeners going to be working with youth at Valley of the Moon Children's Home. But commercial kitchen now being used by Cal Fire.

Dawson: As far as what the service center might do - a lot is in the minutes from last time. One of the reason we try to create ad hoc is to look at other governance structures, looking for funding from additional sources, is that right?

Gorin: Maybe. Know both of the areas are exploring for ways to finance infrastructure. Exploring Enhanced Infrastructure Financing District (EIFD). Santa Rosa exploring that, moving forward. Have to really look carefully at that as financing mechanism.

Dawson: Would infrastructure improvement include more regular bus service.

Gorin: To where?

Dawson: Anywhere.

Gorin: That is more than EIFD, that is county financing.

Dawson: Is that something that, having more county services in the Valley, could be addressed?

Gorin: Circulator bus that will eventually go to SDC could be explored. Don't know how many people drive a car, or take bus, to Santa Rosa.

Nardo Morgan: Very few

Dawson: My impression, so inconvenient, disincentive to ride the bus.

Gorin: We've started a pilot project from Sonoma Plaza, express bus to the transit mall. Don't know how it's going, think other pilot was from the river area. Trying to determine level of ridership. Maybe Hannah can get more information on that pilot project. We are so spread out. Works in community like Portland, not sure how works here.

Dawson: Having just been in Europe, astounding.

Eagles: Question about funding you mentioned, all to Sonoma, tiny homes?

Gorin: All for Homeless Action Sonoma. Approved recommendations from the Continuum of Care. A lot to Catholic Charities, COTS, safe parking in Sebastopol, Cotati/Rohnert Park. We've come such a long way. Before, just talking about Sam Jones and COTS. Now have homeless providers in geographically dispersed areas. Important, because need to recognize that people challenged with homelessness in Sonoma, don't want to move. Want to have services and needs met in their community.

Eagles: In terms of Nelson Center, some suggestions from Councilmember Hadron last month.

Gorin: She would probably suggest immigrant services.

Eagles: Thought I printed out, think she mentioned registrar services.

Gorin: Registrar will likely want to put ballot box. Should know, all candidates required to fill out candidate forms electronically. And will talk to Deva, maybe a clerk function, a lot of those things are online now.

Eagles: Navigation. And September meeting, confirmed?

Gorin: Will publicize, should probably put in Kenwood Press.

Nardo Morgan: Should get to Glen Ellen Forum as well.

Gorin: Press release.

Whitman: Yes, and get out via Nextdoor.

Gorin: Will be hybrid, too. For the Unincorporated Communities ad hoc, hear from people living in unincorporated areas but not technically part of MAC.

Eagles: September meeting separate, for Nelson Building.

Dawson: Both talking about services, though.

Gorin: Listening session tomorrow about how we look at look at gaps of services in unincorporated communities. Meeting on in September is what do you want to see provided at certain location.

No public comment.

5. Creative Sonoma: Draft Public Art Plan

Receive

 Receive presentation from Kristen Madsen, Director of Creative Sonoma on Draft Public Art Plan

Madsen: Thank you for having me, and thank you to Supervisor Gorin. How did we get here. Going to talk about two different documents we've been preparing. One is a Master Plan for public art. Second document I will talk about is the policy. Master Plan is the vision document, aspirational. Policy is: how does it work, as well as some teeth, and about the financing. Next steps, a week from this coming Friday, will have likely the last meeting of the ad hoc before go before full

Board of Supervisors September 19th. Going to talk now about policy and governance. As mentioned, the policy document is the first one. First off with policy, going to establish Public Art Fund. Will be financed in two different ways, first would be percent for art. Percent for art ordinance will assign 1% of the budget of a capital construction project that meets two criteria to be set aside and used for art. Two criteria are: project involves county owned building, facility, etc. including infrastructure. Second criteria: the project is accessible or visible to public. Built in some exceptions, example: emergency response repairs, maintenance and repair, seismic upgrades, fire recovery. Pool fund - may be capital construction project, but may not be appropriate place for art. Take the money, set aside for project that is better fit for public art. Supervisor Gorin suggested preference that is stay in general neighborhood of the project, staying true to mission of this, flexibility that works for the spaces. Third thing to know: we're talking consciously about housing, affordable and otherwise. Don't want to out friction between development of housing. At same time, people who live in affordable housing should also have access to art. Case by case basis. Second kind of funding going to build into this fund, annual allocation out of General Fund. Based on different needs and interests, in unincorporated areas, don't always have lots of capital improvement projects. Don't want projects to be concentrated in handful of areas, and rest of county doesn't benefit. Done in partnership either with county departments or nonprofits, giving a little bit more flexibility and expanding the reach of it. Second part of how it works, governance part, how works through food chain of decision making. At top of that food chain, Board of Supervisors. Will be asked to appoint members to Brown Acted governance body, support public art committee, including annual work plan. Second tier is public art committee, seven to nine members. Their responsibilities will be, for projects \$50,000 or more, will appoint third body: local task force. For projects under \$50,000, will approve artist work plan. For projects \$50,000 or more, local task force, local voices. They'll review RFPs, make recommendations. Local voice on what's happening. Board of Supervisors going to want and need some connection to local level, will get to have representation on the local task force as well, keeps everyone connected. How will it impact Sonoma Valley: first, if there is a construction project. Community improvements project planning proposal, building process by which nonprofits, etc., come to the fund every year see what we can do with the budget that we have. Last, places like SDC where county will be engaged, creating legal documents propose that we put into that legal agreement that new development required to include public art. So, not going to be our money, so wouldn't be subject to county's public art program, but if have those kinds of agreements, encourage that there be art. How it will be funded, going to reiterate a little and expand. Percent for art for capital projects, and then annual allocation for curator projects and staffing. Staffing piece is more important than it might sound, getting thought process in at earliest possible stage. If don't think about art until end of process, building is already built, not able to think about could we integrate art into the actual construction, have bigger impact. Earlier in the process you start, more likely the art is organic and integrated into overall concept. Variety of options to mull for additional research, some we can do right away. One is the idea of building into contracts. Another idea from Supervisor Gorin, how do we frame cultural districts, cultural overlays. Easy one to do, want to work with planning department, create resource guide for developers. Another idea, can we include in every department plan at the county that art is encouraged, thereby, when development proposal comes in, art is approved as part of that process. Whatever we can do to help facilitate a developer saying yes, I can include art. Last thing, interesting, potentially revise design review board specifications to specifically call out art as an allowable option. Thinking about incentives, what can we change structurally. Next steps, going to ad hoc committee for final direction, then to full Board of Supervisors. Document on our website, have been advertising for public comment. If you'd like to look at it, give us comment, simple questionnaire. That gets us through the basics. Questions or comments?

Dawson: Thank you. Last time you spoke, talked about possibility of not just sculptural, but things like music, drama.

Madsen: All are included in the plan, not specific to one kind of genre. To meet criteria of public art, still needs to be site-based, and original. Specifically created for the space, and originally created. Makes it a little bit more narrow.

Eagles: Basic question: what is Creative Sonoma's relationship with county?

Madsen: Division of the county, Economic Development Board.

Nardo Morgan: Funding only from the county? Or federal, grants?

Madsen: County funding covers all overhead, grant funds we give every year, programming funds. Supplement that whenever and however we can, mostly grants.

Nardo Morgan: Happy to hear that, I'm a grant writer also. Plethora of grant money out there for arts projects.

Madsen: Want to talk to you, make sure we're touching them all.

Eagles: This plan a big plan, is this replacing another plan, or new plan?

Madsen: New plan. Some of the municipalities in Sonoma County have exactly what we're doing here. Have never had one for the county. Really about the unincorporated areas.

Newhouser: Going to be my question too. Have these other municipalities been successful in balancing carrot and stick approach of incentives and regulations?

Madsen: Percent for art programs have been around since 1950s. Have some in the cities in our county, many across state of California. All look a little different. Predominantly looked at public development, starting to look at private. With all things, especially art things, if don't like at the beginning, soon can't live without it. How careful and thoughtful you are with private developers, value it brings not only to property but to neighborhood and community, economic development. When you go to Europe, can't imagine being there without art at every turn. Bumps in the road but, generally over time, evens out.

Nardo Morgan: And mental health.

Newhouser: It sounds like from what you described in your presentation is that what we're doing is on track, could fit into model being developed. If we actually took this a step further above and beyond ad hoc on the MAC, having a community group that came together to do some of this planning. Vision to look at all amenities, public amenities installed within public right of way. Do see the crossover to privately owned lands. Good that you have exemptions built into the process. Look forward to talking to you more offline. Don't want to put cart ahead of horse, helpful to know if we're on the right track. Maybe it's the process itself by which do outreach, that's where we really need help.

Gorin: Just want to say, have loved working with Kristen, a burst of energy and enthusiasm, creativity and professionalism. Everything that you've touched has been amazing. Came to us before fires, helped quantify how many artists lost homes or studios in the fires. Going to leave us, her last burst of her energy is to develop this plan. So patient with David Rabbitt and I. I spent years living in Loveland, Colorado: 29 fast food restaurants, 33 churches, not much else. They instituted a percent for art program, transformed this small community, staggeringly beautiful, centered around sculpture, performing arts, just breathtaking. Introduced a note of vitality in that small community. Also, the home for ArtSpace, a nonprofit out of Minneapolis, look for donation of land, plan and finance affordable housing for artists. Thinking about the SDC, have suggested that to Keith, the SDC and Springs are just canvases for cultural arts district overlay. As Springs Specific Plan comes forward in maybe March, Karina has been shepherding painting of utility boxes through Springs MAC. Intimidating working with Caltrans and Comcast. Takes a Kristen and a community, will see this project forward through the board, see if can get the board to buy into my vision. In defense of David, thinks sculptural parts of building should be considered as contributing to art. It's the fabric that creates a rich community. Kristen and I continue to have disagreements on public art versus performance art. But, thank you, and while we're talking about this, why don't talk about fire memorial.

Madsen: Creative Sonoma was charged with developing fire memorial, specifically for 2017 fires, and the people we lost. On parallel tracks, building policy and plan while doing major public art project. Task force, right now working on site or multiple sites. Process: what is the theme, what are the parameters, timeline, budget. Right now, just impaneled the task force, starting process to gather ideas for what would be good sites. Focused on county owned sites, don't have funds to purchase site. Taking all kinds of names, focus on Districts 1, 3, and 4 because those were the ones impacted, eventually take four or five recommendations to go before BOS.

Gorin: I have not terribly engaged in this, proposed by Supervisors Gore and Coursey, and I supported of course. None of the places, Courthouse Square, Luther Burbank Center, are really going to resonate with the Sonoma Valley and we too have experienced great loos. Suggested triangle, county owned land, right across from fire station. May be appropriate to have some small memorial, could have place for people to be reflective. That's what I offered, any of you who know of a place.

Dawson: Sonoma Valley Regional Park, if spot close enough to highway could see as you pass by.

Nardo Morgan: What about Dunbar Point, that the Land Trust has.

Gorin: Not a good place to pull out, maybe have to gravel a little area. Regional Park may be a better place.

Nardo Morgan: Jack London Village, grassy, big space, sculpture garden that used to be part of the business there. That would be great spot, so much parking there.

Newhouser: Regarding firehouse triangle, in my meetings with county personnel, designated as inaccessible site. Even though it's easily accessible, not really public parking, not enough room to develop ADA access. Any time go through any municipality for public access, have to provide ADA access, can significantly change a project. Could be something subtle, something viewable as drive or walk by, are some side streets where people in neighborhood could see as pedestrian. Access, rubric, elements that need to be met in order for project site to be approved. For a fire memorial, needs to have public access, if people are going to connect with it, you would think need to have some access. Not be just an afterthought.

Dawson: There is a little memorial in the park already.

Newhouser: Could just be a matter of memorializing that, adding some refinements.

Oldroyd: Has to be accessible to a wheelchair.

Eagles: One more comment.

Oldroyd: Community garden, both fires swept through there. County property at Pythian, stoplight after.

No public comment.

6. North Sonoma Valley MAC Youth Engagement

Receive

 Receive presentation on potential youth participation in North Sonoma Valley MAC

Whitman: This is just checking in on a request that came at the last meeting, engaging more young people with the MAC. Councilmember Dickey brought this up, I went in to review current bylaws. Members of the MAC have to be 18 years or older. Reached out to the staff of the District 5 MACs, who have also engaged with this interest in having more young people participate. I've got two options here, but first, I know that the funding element of this conversation was a big part of our discussion last month, to make it more accessible for younger people to participate. I'm having that conversation with the County Administrator's Office, meeting with them later this week. Today, looking for direction for how we want the role itself to look. Option 1 would be an intern, something District 5 has done, participate with MAC but not as member. Responsibilities could include meeting preparation and attendance, minutes, social media and community engagement. Option 2 would require bylaw update, something that is in the bylaws for the Lower Russian River MAC, option for nominating an ex officio member from a local high school, can participate in the conversation but not as a voting member. Those are the options I've seen that there is some precedent for. Wanted to get feedback, will open it up.

Eagles: First option, intern that would participate but also have paid duties?

Whitman: More administrative, less part of conversation of MAC.

Newhouser: And this is contingent on there being funding available?

Whitman: That was a big emphasis of Councilmember Dickey's.

Newhouser: Why don't we just consider rolling back the age, to say 16?

Eagles: Before we do that, second option was?

Whitman: Ex officio member, nonvoting, but would be able to participate in discussion.

Oldroyd: Paid? And what age?

Whitman: Yes, and high school.

Nardo Morgan: Why couldn't reach out to college students? A lot of college students get college credit. I think we want someone who is engaged in discussion, speak to the issues, don't know if we've talked about colleges. Might be an idea to reach out to departments.

Whitman: That's definitely the direction that I'm looking for today. The options I presented are the two that have some precedent in the other districts, if you are more interested in having a college student, can look into that. If there is some sort of consensus on one to two options, that would be helpful.

Oldroyd: Not fond of the administrative role.

Newhouser: I like what Angela is suggesting, drawing upon interested people, pursuing career in public policy, planning, that would be a much richer contribution and experience for a candidate. Feel like we should definitely do college age, but could reach out to high schools, some kids showing interest in these areas as well.

Dawson: Put out notice, assume it's going to be a hiring process?

Newhouser: Thought we were talking about about it as recruiting member from college community. High school is where you'd have to talk about internship, or having an incentive. If have a voice, then a member, like any of us.

Eagles: I think we have general agreement, less of an intern and more of an ex officio or voting member, but requires a big commitment – job, other work commitments. My vision having it connected to semester or school credit, ex officio. We don't vote that often, might be easier to structure if have it tied to semester to school credit.

Dawson: See two advantages: student will get some experience, and we'll get their perspective. Don't have to be super well versed, share their perspective.

Newhouser: What's key would be to develop a relationship with a professor, or department, to identify a conduit for having students rotate in and out, if commitment is a semester or a year, professor feeding students in as they're rotated in and out.

Gorin: Couple things you might consider, Karina worked with high school student on Charla Comunitaria, may be helpful to ask her how that worked out. It's been my experience working with political science department, encourage students to work on political campaigns. With any internship, someone needs to manage that intern. Worry that we have not had an intern in our office, overwhelmed with work, don't want to take on responsibility of managing their work. Voice of youth on the MAC is very important. Functionally, don't know how it would work yet.

Whitman: I'm hearing a preference for someone who is able to participate in conversation, wanted to ask, is a nonvoting member a no-go?

Dawson: I'm in favor of nonvoting.

Whitman: Can explore both.

Eagles: More toward nonvoting, also because if looking at school year, fair trade off.

Newhouser: What would be the reason?

Eagles: Don't know that we could expect someone, sometimes would have to leave, have stuff. Wouldn't be a full fledged member. But open to hearing from others.

Dawson: Would take a little while for them to get up to speed.

Newhouser: Sounds as though you're supportive, but that they may not be available to vote. Is it because that would upset a quorum requirement?

Eagles: Don't expect their commitment to be, fairly, to be here every month.

Nardo Morgan: Might not have enough background.

Newhouser: Want to give people benefit of the doubt. If going to empower youth, give them the vote.

Eagles: Good point.

Whitman: Can definitely explore both. Hearing a leaning toward college aged, would you like me to still explore high school.

Nardo Morgan: Do both. Supervisor Gorin had a really good point, it does take a lot of work to give them some tools, it is going to be work. And whoever is taking that on needs to know that.

Eagles: And I think that will be one of us.

Newhouser: Having interns, expectation that their input will equalize effort it takes to supervise and intern. It always ends up being more work to supervise, but can be rewarding, and a necessity. That's a commitment.

Eagles: Not leaning toward an intern; not a work product expected. There will be work in trying to recruit someone, but not as much the day to day management.

Dawson: Need to be resident of District 1?

Whitman: Resident of MAC area.

Newhouser: Would be a limiting factor. Do they really need to be a resident?

Whitman: That's something I can look into.

Newhouser: Just to reach some consensus here – we'd like to reach out to both high school and college aged, to be ex officio member, or to have voting rights, to follow an annual.

Whitman: Few different elements you've mentioned that can fit interchangeably. What I understand from your direction, of the options I presented today, is to explore a modification of option 2, which is currently the high school ex officio. Explore options for either high school or college aged student to take that role, and then also looking at, if we want that person to be a voting member, what would need to change in the bylaws.

Nardo Morgan: Can also look at, if the person is not in high school or college, but is of that age range.

Whitman: So, over 18, but in the workforce or something like that?

Dawson: Under 30, maybe?

Nardo Morgan: Yes, that's what I was thinking.

Eagles: Will say, we have not determined voting or non voting.

Whitman: So I've got a few combinations of options I can explore, and will come back with more refined roles.

No public comment.

Eagles: Don't have to talk about it at length, but I would love someone to do a little social media outreach for us. Just to throw that out there.

7. Consideration of items for future agenda

Receive

Eagles: Have a few things in the queue, have Hannah speak on that.

Whitman: Coming up in September, representatives from Department of Public Infrastructure to talk about pedestrian improvements like sidewalks and crosswalks. Also have annual election of Chair and Vice Chair.

Dawson: Going to step down as Vice Chair.

Whitman: And sounds like we'll want some follow up on youth outreach. If anyone has anything they want to add, or prioritize, let me know.

Oldroyd: VOTMA, representative is Cathy Pons.

Eagles: Don't believe we've followed up but need to do that.

Dawson: Makes sense to have a presentation from Emergency Services on fire season. Most of us a pretty aware, but just as a refresher.

Oldroyd: Can talk about the joining of the District, Kenwood joined the District.

Nardo Morgan: Julia Atwood, Halter Project?

Eagles: Trying to be cautious to not have too big of an agenda. Fit in brief item on fire, makes sense for next month.

Dawson: Seems more timely.

Newhouser: In future, might want to do in July or August.

Dawson: Maybe could ask one of the fire chiefs, 10 minute update, what you need to know.

Oldroyd: Would want to hear about the new firefighting equipment.

Newhouser: County presentation is confirmed? Think that's timely.

Nardo Morgan: What happened with the sign making?

Eagles: They did not talk about it at their August meeting, at this time might be an opportunity for ad hoc to discuss with the Glen Ellen Forum.

Newhouser: Wasn't clear to me if still in development stage, public input, don't know if based on the input they got what's next.

Eagles: Because they weren't able to talk about it on their August agenda, felt presentation here was premature. Next quarterly meeting in November.

Councilmember Oldroyd left meeting at 7:40pm.

Nardo Morgan: Don't know if appropriate to ask, how many of the public showed up tonight?

Whitman: Two members of the public.

Eagles: Anyone from the public have any suggestions?

Public Comment: Wanted to thank you all for informative meeting. Want to go back to the art project: sometimes there can be political statements, statues that have been torn down in the U.S. because they represented things that people didn't agree with. Curious how that work in deciding what kind of work would be put up? Boyes Hot Springs, someone put an arch that didn't make any sense, a lot of money, who is the person who makes the final decision.

Gorin: Everyone I know questions the arch. A while ago, Springs redevelopment area wanted to put arch over 12, Caltrans said no, concession was to put the arch over the sidewalk. Public art, when established and when have advisory committee, will have some guidelines. When I served on art and public places committee in Santa Rosa, went through number of submissions for piece of art in prominent location, chose fabulous piece but had so many people criticized. Art is subjective, but at base level, will have to conform to set of criteria to no offend anybody.

Public Comment: That's challenging.

Newhouser: Glad you asked that questions, is in the eye of the beholder. People either like something or they don't. Something I think about is having a rotation, not have it be permanent. Gives peoples different aesthetics a chance, and gives artists more opportunities to exhibit work. And you could also weigh in, they are looking for feedback on the policy.

Public Comment: Also want to get back to what Arthur said, if allocating thousand of dollars to art when we need bike lanes, buses, solar. If there's a way we can integrate artwork with saving the planet. So many pressing things with the climate crisis, seems like focusing somehow on saving the planet, so green can become artwork.

No further public comment.

8. Reports and Announcements from Councilmembers and Ad Hocs

Receive

Newhouser: Briefly, going to be connecting with Kristen. Also finally got designer hoping can work with on firehouse triangle project.

Gorin: Cannot leave the MAC until you complete this project.

Newhouser: Pushing through finding someone to work with. Not easy, but a little bit of good news.

Eagles: Know we're at the end of MAC year, some terms do run out, some have another year?

Whitman: I will be reaching out directly to MAC members whose terms are up for reappointment.

Gorin: Believe we are gearing up to appoint a new member in September.

No public comment.

Gorin: One more announcement I missed. Kudos to Greg Carr who did yeoman's lifting on the Housing Element. Coming to the Board, to discuss and approve. If do not have certified Housing Element, a housing development can through with minimal public review. One of the challenges that we have is with the proposed Hanna Project, slipped through in timely way, apparently cannot reduce number of units. Trying to investigate what flexibility we do have. Start reading through the two thousand pages for next Tuesday.

Newhouser: Builders remedy is very problematic.

Gorin: Puts all of us at a disadvantage. Was proposed during time that was relevant to formation of Housing Element. Was the state poison pill to encourage jurisdictions in tackling their housing element. We are not alone. Santa Rosa just certified housing element.

Nardo Morgan: Not just unhappiness, it's about climate change.

Gorin: Could say, have utilities: sewer and water. Could say number one issue in Sonoma Valley is lack of housing for so many people who work here, go to school here, have families here. Can't put out in ag lands, no utilities, absent of transportation.

Nardo Morgan: Proposing 600 homes?

Gorin: Yeah. We appealed ABAG's decision to pound in number of units in unincorporated areas, so many communities being impacted.

Dawson: Units at Hanna and SDC count?

Gorin: Number of homes at SDC count, we didn't think they would.

Whitman: Want to make sure this doesn't turn in to a discussion.

Gorin: Might do a quick read of the Housing Element, and comment to the Board.

No public comment.

9. Adjourn Resolution

First: Dawson

Second: Nardo Morgan

4-0

Meeting Adjourned 7:55pm

COMMITMENT TO CIVILITY: The North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council has adopted rules of procedures which include a commitment to civility. To assure civility in its public meetings, the public is encouraged to engage in respectful dialog that supports freedom of speech and values diversity of opinion. Councilmembers, staff, and members of the public are expected to establish and maintain a cordial and respectful atmosphere during discussions; and foster meaningful dialogue free of personal attacks. Members of the public must also adhere to the speaking time limit.

Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the North Valley Municipal Advisory Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the Board of Supervisors' Office located at 575 Administration Drive, Room 100-A, Santa Rosa, CA, during normal business hours.

Note: Consideration of agenda items will proceed as follows:

- 1. Presentation
- 2. Questions by Councilmembers
- 3. Questions and comments from the public
- 4. Response by presenter, if required
- 5. Comments by Councilmembers
- 6. Resolution, if indicated

Web Links: https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/North-Valley-Municipal-Advisory-Council/