



North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council

NOTICE OF MEETING AND AGENDA
In Person Meeting: Kenwood Depot
314 Warm Springs Rd, Kenwood, CA 95452
September 19, 2023
5:30 PM



Contact: Hannah Whitman, Board Aide for Supervisor Susan Gorin – hannah.whitman@sonoma-county.org

As of March 1, 2023, the Governor has rescinded the Emergency Proclamation related to the COVID-19 pandemic. **With this rescission, all Boards, Councils, and Commissions following the Brown Act must return to meeting in person** with some limited exceptions for individual appointed and elected officials on a case-by-case basis.

Remote participation by the public may continue if there are sufficient staff resources to allow this option. For the September 19 meeting of the North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council, we will be offering a hybrid option for the public to view the meeting and make public comment. Please note this is a new development and we have limited staff resources, so this option is subject to technical difficulties.

Zoom Conference Meeting

<https://sonomacounty.zoom.us/j/95022780419?pwd=aThadHpvV1N5U3BYVEZwRnB4ZzE2UT09>

Passcode: 324909

Meeting ID: 950 2278 0419

Dial by your location: +1 (669) 900-9128 US (San Jose)

Due to the potential for technical difficulties, it is recommended that members of the public who wish to address the commission consider attending in person, or submitting comments in advance via e-mail to Hannah Whitman, Board Aide for Supervisor Susan Gorin, at hannah.whitman@sonoma-county.org

1. Call to Order, Pledge of Allegiance, Roll Call

Start: 5:32

Eagles: Pledge, Land Acknowledgement, Vice Chair Dawson?

Dawson: We acknowledge that the citizens and community served by the NSV MAC, occupy the unseeded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok, closely related to neighboring indigenous peoples: Pomo, Wapo, and others. Asking forgiveness for past transgressions they and their ancestors experienced, we humbly invite them to join us in person or in spirit as we give gratitude for their ongoing stewardship of this place since time in memorial. Recognizing how much we benefit from their continuing presence as culture keepers and teachers, we commit ourselves to building positive and lasting relationships with our local indigenous community and to honor all the diverse peoples in our region.

Eagles: Two announcements, Councilmember Handron chose not to be reappointed to MAC, thank her for her three years on the MAC including one as Vice Chair. Welcome new member to the MAC, Martin Peña. Would like to say a few words?

Peña: Resident of Kenwood 15 years, burned in 2017 and rebuilt. Interested in environmental issues, love this valley, want to do what I can to make better place.

Roll:

Present: Dawson, Dickey, Eagles, Galindo, Oldroyd, Nardo-Morgan, Newhouser, Peña

Absent: None

2. Approval of August 15, 2023 minutes

Resolution

Eagles: Any amendments or corrections?

Motion:

First: Dickey
Second: Dawson

8-0

3. Public Comment

Receive

(Limited to items not appearing on the agenda)

Eagles: Have received no written public comment. Comments?

Daymon Doss: Resident of Kenwood, just came from Board meeting with Kenwood Fire District. Reviewing and contemplating extension of contract with Sonoma Valley Fire District. Nearing completion. Means that Kenwood Fire will be staffed with employees of Sonoma Valley Fire District. Difficulty recruiting and retaining, also loss of community volunteers, more difficult than it used to be. All employees will be in transition, will all be under one Chief, Chief Akre, very much united. Initial contract for 4 years 9 months, calls for consideration of, what if wanted to incorporate into Sonoma Valley Fire District. Much like Glen Ellen Fire Protection district did some years ago. Going to vote on Friday. Level of service has increased with contract with Sonoma Valley Fire District, all of firefighter were EMTs but not paramedics, now every time one of rigs role out, paramedic on board. Also able to back up Santa Rosa Fire District, Oakmont is in Santa Rosa Fire District.

Eagles: Thank you. Any other public comment?

No further public comment.

4. Supervisor Gorin Update

Receive

Eagles: Supervisor Gorin not here tonight, submitted written update. I will read:

Supervisor Gorin Written Update:

I wish I was able to attend the MAC meeting this month, but we are meeting this evening in a special meeting about the Ag Pass Program and Public Art Policy from 4:00-9:00pm.m. I will be meeting virtually during the meeting as I am out of town for a few days.

In lieu of my presence I want to provide a brief report on recent items of interest to the North Sonoma Valley MAC. As I'm sure you are aware, on August 22nd the Board of Supervisors approved the county's Housing Element. The day prior to our Board meeting, an application was submitted to Permit Sonoma from the developer selected by the state for the Sonoma Developmental Center for a project that includes 930 units. I made clear in the August 22nd meeting that I am very disappointed in this news and its disregard for the public process that led to the adoption of the SDC Specific Plan in December 2022. Permit Sonoma is in the process of reviewing the application.

From the date of our Board's approval, the state has 60 days to certify our Housing Element. In the meantime I am exploring options for a community conversation about the Housing Element and process for review of SB330 and the "builders' remedy" (not the specific Hanna Project or the SDC project) and what it means for Sonoma Valley and County. The discussions on the projects will come later.

As of now, we are thinking that a presentation and discussion would be best at the SVCAC where the facilities for a hybrid meeting are already in place; but the discussion could be held at a special community meeting. I will be sure to keep the MAC posted on how the community can stay involved in this conversation.

As you have read, during Board of Supervisors meeting on September 12, we discussed a number of important issues - an expansion of the Project Labor Agreement, the Living Wage Ordinance and proposed homeless services interim housing at Los Guilicos and the County Center. There will be more information coming forward

on those two projects in the near future; they have been approved but construction and development will mean that the residents will move in December-February under the same rules and regulations, security and wrap-around services that exist now. It is my hope that the modest expansion of LG Village will be able to house more house less residents in Sonoma Valley.

During that meeting, we were targeted by racist messages throughout the afternoon, and the Board of Supervisors today instituted a temporary policy of no public comments by zoom at the meeting. Any comments will have to be provided to the supervisors by email or public appearances at the meeting. It is discouraging and disappointing to move backwards to how the Board operated before COVID. I'm not yet sure how long this will be in effect.

Tonight's special meeting will be available on zoom for comments on the topics being presented. You can find information about the two items on line.

Finally, On the topic of community meetings, please join me on Thursday, September 28th from 6-8pm at the SVUSD Board Room (or via Zoom) for a bilingual community listening session on the Sonoma Valley Regional Service Hub opening this fall. The purpose of the listening session is to gather input from the community on what county services are lacking or difficult to access in the unincorporated areas of the Sonoma Valley, to shape the services offered at the Hub. I hope to see you there!

Eagles: Any comments?

Dickey: We had discussion about our own observations about which services should be at the hub, correct?

Eagles: Yes, I believe Councilmembers Hadron and Galindo provided some feedback.

Dickey: And this meeting would be continuation of that?

Whitman: Broader community meeting.

Eagles: And bilingual.

Newhouser: Regarding SDC questions, wondering if someone with knowledge could comment, why is builders remedy proposal valid?

Dawson: Still confused if builders remedy or density bonus.

Newhouser: Have heard builders remedy on multiple occasions from different sources, are they misusing?

Dawson: I'm no expert, but Rogal himself said not builders remedy in paper. From what I know, state can award density bonuses, think he's hoping and assuming state will give him 50% more. 930 is exactly 50% over what Supervisors approved.

Dickey: Bypassing county specific plan effort to do that.

Newhouser: Understand that, question remains, is the county out of compliance with the state requirements for the housing element?

Eagles: Because it was late?

Newhouser: Don't even know if late version of it is in compliance.

Nardo Morgan: Agree with Mark, how was this possible?

Dickey: Because the Housing Element wasn't approved prior, so under the old guidelines.

Eagles: Not sure if we're clear.

Nardo Morgan: Really confusing.

Dawson: My understanding, if the housing element hasn't been approved, the builders remedy kicks in, could have used that, but from what I understand he's using 50% density bonus from state, so builders remedy isn't part of this.

Eagles: That's how I understand too.

Newhouser: Again, it's about what is being conveyed, even words of Supervisor invoke builders remedy. Perhaps, can put in request to Supervisor to clarify this issue, let constituents know the distinctions? I know Arthur has done research, revealing to know number homes approved can be increased substantial amount just from density bonus alone.

Dawson: Clarification from Susan, in her update here she says: "community conversation about the Housing Element and process for review of SB330 and the "builders' remedy" (not the specific Hanna Project or the SDC project)." Wasn't flagging the SDC as builders remedy project.

Whitman: In any case, happy to follow up with some clarification.

Newhouser: And the whole issue about whether the county is in compliance, would be really good to know.

Nardo Morgan: Want to second that, so many people in the community really confused about this issue. Someone from Permit Sonoma explain what's going on?

Eagles: Be clear too, in here, definitely meeting that is going to happen, don't know when yet but in conjunction with SVCAC, public meeting.

Dickey: That has been the request. Requesting also that both MACs be participants. No time or location.

Newhouser: In time before that meeting happens, would be nice to get written update to clarify what could be some misinformation about what is going down, might help calm community if had correct information.

No public comment.

5. Sonoma County Fire Chiefs' Associations (SCFCA) Sales Tax Measure and Fire Season Update Receive

- Receive presentation on 2023 fire season outlook and Sonoma County Fire Chiefs' Associations (SCFCA) Sales Tax Measure from Sonoma Valley Fire District Chief Steve Akre

Eagles: Welcome Sonoma Valley Fire Chief Steve Akre.

Akre: Thank you for having me. Happy to share some updates, first thank Director Doss and his comments about partnership with Sonoma Valley and Kenwood. Emphasize that we serve lot of individual communities, honor and value their differences and identity, feel strongly though that fire and EMS services best served on regional basis. Briefly, fire season update, then will go into more detail about fire sales tax. Fire season update: fairly mild fire season so far, both locally and statewide. Our county has sent out number of strike teams to Riverside, up to Siskiyou near Oregon border. All resources back now, fully staffed, maintain fully staffed stations even when send resources out. Going to experience fire weather watch Wednesday into Thursday. PG&E has put out PSPS for Lake County and Napa County, so far has not included Sonoma. Really are in the height of our local fire season right now. Diligence, preparedness really important right now. Be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. Good news, long range forecast, potential for storm that is looking to bring some precipitation. Continue to be active with CalFire partners on vegetation management, defensible space inspections. In Sonoma Valley, did 275 property inspections this year. Also very active chipper program. Been working in targeted areas in Springs on parking, know how densely that is built and narrow roads. Working cooperatively with CHP and county to enforce parking regulations so that in case there is an event, fire apparatus can get in and residents can get out. Signups for CPR and AED training. Placed number of new AEDs in public places, couple in City of

Sonoma, Maxwell, going to have first one in Glen Ellen soon. Stop there to see if anyone has any questions before move on to sales tax measure.

Oldroyd: All employees going under Sonoma Valley Fire District, do all Kenwood employees stay where they are?

Akre: Typically yes, try to keep everyone in their home communities. Volunteers of course stay in home communities. A lot of benefits to that – know the community, know access roads, know people in the community. Certain that Chief Bellach will be staying here, lifelong Kenwood resident. Whenever we can, look to maximize that specific knowledge and those relationships.

Dickey: Easier to recruit with consolidation, for the entire district?

Akre: One of the reasons consolidations don't go in timeline that we think might be more reasonable is twofold. In fire service, intense pride and ownership of serving in fire department. Takes incredible amount of dedication, commitment, and training. Thirty years ago, all of Sonoma Valley predominantly volunteer firefighters. Seeing across the county, state, nationally that volunteerism is on the decline. See here in Sonoma Valley, families moving out to afford home ownership, second homeowners or retirees moving in, not really who we recruit or interested in becoming volunteer firefighters. Also seeing calls for service increase. Not fitting anymore. For consolidation or contracts, what Sonoma Valley Fire District looks for is willing partners, doesn't work to bring organization along kicking and screaming. Wait for those good opportunities, really emphasize partnership. To your question about recruitment, there is more opportunity for us as Sonoma Valley Fire District to recruit and retain than for smaller districts. Couple of big factors: the individual, lots of things that drive them, could be running more calls, could be wanting to work in certain area, lots of variables there. Take pride in our organization's culture, something that draws people from other agencies.

Dickey: Are the chips available once chip them?

Akre: Chips are left.

Dickey: When fires in 2017, came to us from this direction. Realized recently, western hills are far more rural – more parklands, less density of construction, more forests. Are there plans now for those western hills?

Akre: Western hills have not historically had anywhere near the same fire history that eastern hills do. Predominantly, extreme wind events are offshore. Hot, dry, Santa Ana-type winds, those are what have caused our fire problems. Haven't had that same experience on the west side, doesn't get as much pre-heating, fuel moistures don't dry out as much as east side. Do have Grove Street Fire Safe Council, Diamond A George Ranch area, getting some grants. Jack London State Park has done some good work. Not aware of concerted effort or plan to address whole of west side, but there is one on the east side – wildlands collaborative looking at whole Mayacamas range. That's where the focus has been, address where historic fire problem has been.

Dickey: Do studies now as result of our experiences, is it just one of those things by virtue of climate, wind direction, fuel moistures, terrain, it's not as subject to it?

Akre: Not aware of any studies that look at whole of west side.

Newhouser: North Sonoma Valley trail, did a shaded fuel break, that was done a few years back. Question around that is who's going to maintain it. Will be interesting to see how well that's maintained. Another question regarding the street issue: something my community is facing with a private road, very narrow, trying to maintain that 12 foot width, real challenge. Something raised by constituent here in Glen Ellen, incentives county offers now for affordable housing is remove requirements for onsite parking. Complaints from neighbors, not taking the bus, have two or three cars, ends up on the road. Could this be a potential flaw of eliminating onsite parking?

Akre: Not intimately familiar with what the rules are. If have a lot of those kind of developments, evacuation and access concern. Apologize though, we don't have that role with permitting or development process.

Newhouser: Would have been wise for county to have consulted with fire department, give you a chance to weigh in on accessibility, evacuation and egress.

Akre: If you have specific area you're concerned about, send to me and I will send to prevention division. Private roads get really tricky, don't have a lot of say over private roads.

Dawson: Matt, noticed the same thing, same concern about western hills.

Eagles: CPR and AED trainings, open to public?

Akre: Yes, open to the public, and short. Have you in and out in about half an hour. CPR has changed a lot, introduction to AEDs really simple, but obviously life-saving, have a few examples here in the Valley.

Newhouser: What do you tell people when they ask you about liability?

Akre: There is zero liability, the good Samaritan laws if you're acting with intent to help, there's no liability there. Unless you were to do something completely egregious and grossly negligent, even then they'd have a hard time making that stick. AEDs are not going to shock someone who isn't shockable. No manual override for automatic defibrillators, will not shock unless that person's heart is not beating at all.

Eagles: Any updates on notifications?

Akre: Work very collaboratively with Department of Emergency Management, that's their area of expertise. Most recent thing we've done, put out some additional messaging to areas around HWY 12 closure at Hooker Creek advising them of the closure, reminder should know two ways out.

Peña: When notifications targeted to specific area, is that because people registered their address to that area, or done by cell service?

Akre: Some of the notifications, can do SoCoAlert. Had been an opt in, now at the point have gotten registrations from utility companies to add to the registry. Wireless emergency alerts go to every cell phone unless have it disabled on your phone. Can do Nixle, just had a meeting with Watch Duty to make sure we are all in alignment. Going to get hit with a number of things, also first county in the state to sign MOU with National Weather Services, so get NOAA radio alerts. If live in area where don't have good cell service, NOAA radios really valuable. Pretty good ways and means to hit people with alerts.

Peña: Since 2017, residents feel much more comfortable that there's a lot of communication, lifts a lot of anxiety off of people.

Akre: Come a long way in emergency services since 2017. Have made remarkable progress, not only fire districts, sheriff's department but also emergency managers, others. Hit a lot of different areas: emergency response, notification, preparedness, evacuation drills. Great segue to update on sales tax.

Galindo: One last question about all those services – have done outreach to local nonprofits that work with Hispanic community? Can have all that information in the world, but if it's not done in Spanish, it's out of the world.

Akre: Great question, and absolutely, regularly attend Charla Comunitaria, try really hard that everything we put out is in English and Spanish. LED sign in Agua Caliente, community information in English and Spanish. Actively engaged with Sonoma Valley Health Center, attend Springs Plaza events, Larsen Park events, do really good outreach. So, county sales tax, effort for five plus years now. Put a sales tax measure on 2020 ballot, Measure G. Got 65% of vote, but needed two thirds. Sonoma County Fire Chief's Association taken it upon ourselves and fire service working group to craft another measure, because need has not gone away. Signature gathering campaign, requires 50% plus one to pass. Gathered signatures in record time, Registrar of Voters verified signatures accurate and qualified, and Board of Supervisors approved that. Spent years after Measure G to build relationships and consensus and unity with Fire Chiefs. This coalition is Fire Chiefs, volunteer associations, elected board of directors, and firefighter unions, everyone has come together united to support this. Countywide, this measure will allow us to hire 200 firefighters and paramedics, tremendous boost to all of our communities. Also going to invest over thirty years 300 million dollars in critical infrastructure improvements to fire stations, Kenwood station is one that is earmarked to receive some of that funding.

Third component we're addressing is vegetation management coordination and capacity. Adding seven vegetation management inspectors coordinators throughout the county. Also fund full time executive for Fire Safe Sonoma. Roberta has been a volunteer, does a phenomenal job, but how long can we count on her on that level. Add fuels crew countywide. Thinning, projects, building capacity for that system – grant funding, but not necessarily the capacity to do that work.

Dickey: What is the tax itself.

Akre: Half cent sales tax.

Dickey: Pretty good size.

Oldroyd: Get all the tourist's money.

Akre: So many considerations in this, use the standards of cover program, computerized program that looks at response times to certain areas, based on national standards for initial response times to get an engine somewhere mostly to provide medical care or small fire, then deployment for larger building fire. All of what we're doing is based on that data, evaluation, studies. Tax projected to raise \$60 million annually, after did studies, brought in experts from each fire districts, cities fire departments, talked to them, had them corroborate, what are your needs. Those two elements basis for this plan, doesn't address every need forever more; went with critical needs.

Eagles: Any other quick questions? Also, wanted to ask you if it sunsets?

Akre: There is no sunset, the reason being is twofold: once we hire firefighters, want them there forevermore. Never going to not have need for firefighters and paramedics to serve our communities. How do you take on an employee if their source of revenue sunsets in five years? If we can't offer them that, they're not going to come work with us. Second part is facilities, money we allocated for facilities is not a lump sum of cash, did not have that kind of revenue within this. What it does provide is that mortgage payment, go out and get a loan to build fire station and this measure will cover that debt services. Who is going to loan us money if we've got a sunset that closes five to ten years, not realistic. Did a lot of polling over last four years, tested in the polls, confident with what we have. Goes on the ballot March 6th, first Tuesday, primary election in March. To frame for us here locally, when we build our neighbors up in emergency services it makes all of us stronger. Measure will provide three firefighter paramedics for Kenwood station, 18 and three support positions for Sonoma Valley fire station, three new firefighters to Schell-Vista serving south part of us.

Newhouser: Facility improvements – would the new beds be defacto housing for personnel?

Akre: Just provides staffing when they're on shift. Workforce housing whole other animal to try to tackle. Interest in, important to us, now have 65 full time employees, about a third living in the Valley. Were at 50% just a couple of years ago, getting harder and harder, not just fire services – law enforcement, nurses, teachers, service workers. A lot of people who make our Valley go not able to afford to live here anymore. When live here, or close by, benefit to all our community.

Eagles: Thank you, open up to public comment.

No public comment.

Akre: Do want to say, one of our folks on Zoom is Gary Johnson, our Fire Prevention Captain. When talk about vegetation management, home inspection, evacuation, engagement with communities, Gary is the one who leads a lot of those efforts, does fantastic job.

6. Sonoma County Public Infrastructure: Pedestrian Safety

Receive

- Conversation with Janice Thompson, Deputy Director, Sonoma County Public Infrastructure, on pedestrian safety, sidewalks, and crosswalks

Eagles: Introduce Janice Thompson, Deputy Director Sonoma County Public Infrastructure.

Thompson: Just to repeat, I'm Janice Thompson, Deputy Director of Engineering and Maintenance for Sonoma County Public Infrastructure. As I understand, community is interested in a brief discussion on sidewalks and safety, will go into brief description on what goes into that. It really starts with an email, to me, Supervisor Gorin's office, and requesting some safety improvements. What's helpful to me is to understand the problem you're trying to solve. So, a crosswalk might be a potential solution, but unless you help me understand the problem, maybe there's other things that we can do. For instance, this is next to a school, and community west of here gathers and crosses. Or, maybe there's a new store coming, and there's a large group that walks here consistently. Tell me a little bit about why the request is coming in. Then what happens is we have a traffic section in our engineering group, and we'll take a look at the location and evaluate it, based on what you told us and the existing conditions: are there sidewalks, what is the speed of the road, what is the visibility? Do a lot to look at it from an engineering point of view, and then study it. Questions?

Dawson: Wanted to mention, have brought this up at previous meetings and you guys came out and repainted the crosswalk in Glen Ellen, improved visibility. Another issue there – do you deal with signage?

Thompson: Yes we do.

Dawson: Ok, will send you an email with more details, signage for pedestrian crossing poorly placed in downtown Glen Ellen. Place it could be easily moved to, will follow up with more detail.

Thompson: Great, please do.

Newhouser: Great we have opportunity to contact your department with these issues so that it's processed in a meaningful way. Will bring up specific issue: at corner of Warm Springs Rd and Arnold Dr, county put in major improvements to area, but put in these rinky dink fences that go around edges of where yellow mats are next to crosswalks, all fences have been run over. If we see something like that, do we need to just describe it, or send photographs?

Thompson: Best way to communicate is with pictures. Picture, location, and we take it from there.

Newhouser: I know with security issues, sometimes photos don't go through.

Thompson: SoCoConnect is an app on cellphones, great when it works, mostly works. But sometimes difficulties, if so, email me, or Hannah, and will get in system. Does save us all a little time if use SoCoConnect works for you.

Eagles: General question about how assess changes in the county, for example, corner of Madrone and Arnold. Busy now, probably will get busier. Do go out proactively to assess areas that are changing, or rely on folks telling you area is changing?

Thompson: Mostly do rely on public input. Of course, maintenance guys are out and about, let us know if see a situation we could improve upon. Really is you folks in community who know your area best. But again, if you ask for something tell me why – don't solve the problem, tell me the problem, and you'd like this, but why. What is the action that's requiring you to request an item.

Eagles: Any other questions? Public comment?

No public comment.

Newhouser: Follow-up regarding evaluation of site that may need improvements for safety or traffic control. I know that there are traffic studies and that if traffic increases over time, that eventually becomes problematic and light is required. Putting in light major issue, expensive, but wonder if there are any planned improvements based on any traffic studies, how evaluated, and should we expect any improvements in the future.

Thompson: Two items that you mention are the ones that we study most critically, and are most regulated: installation of stop sign or traffic signal light. Very regulated in the guidebook we follow, which is called the manual of uniform traffic control devices (MUTCD). Spells out all the regulation, criteria that need to be met for those to be installed, such

as volume, speed, visibility, accident history. Whole study of about eight topics, get done through traffic study, minimum conditions, have to meet different numbers of warrants for different traffic control devices. Study that, but again, take public requests. Not constantly monitoring data, really is requests.

Newhouser: Really are general feeling that we could benefit from more crosswalks, lights, hard to know when it's a reasonable request. Sounds like you rely on data, but maybe serve a squeaky wheel if get enough complaints.

Thompson: One thing that is not as spelled out is crosswalks, handle on case by case basis. Get a lot of requests for them, people like them for variety of reasons, sometimes to slow down traffic, because that's not how they work, that's not their purpose. Have to be really careful where we install them.

Nardo Morgan: One of the things I found very beneficial for our area was construction of roundabout at Arnold and Agua Caliente. Flow of traffic moves smoothly. Plans for any more?

Thompson: I love them, not a lot of people love them. One more is going into construction, Caltrans, at Big Bend, HWY 116 and 121. That will be in construction soon. That will make that a lot better.

Nardo Morgan: I think people may not like them because don't really know how to use them.

Newhouser: More than one lane?

Thompson: I don't think so.

Dawson: Something else that I notice that seem effective, but don't see very often, some on Bennett Valley road: rumble strips. Plan for any more, don't see them very often?

Thompson: Here's why: the noise. You'll notice, the placement of those is where there's no housing nearby. Tough to find location that doesn't create a lot of noise for residents.

Dawson: One more thing, in a few places noticed stop sign with continuously running red flashing light around it. Is there any talk about putting something like that in certain places?

Thompson: What we find with safety devices is that there's the latest and greatest, and it works, for a while. But then traffic gets used to it, and serves no purpose. Doesn't prevent us from installing new, lighted devices, but study the whole picture. If your house is on the corner and the lighted sign near your bedroom window, might not be your favorite. Just have to be really careful. Not aware of any coming at this time.

Galindo: Want to clear up where that roundabout is going to be – is it 116/121 going out, is it that area?

Thompson: Yes, that's the one.

Eagles: Thank you so much Janice.

7. Election of Chair & Vice Chair

Resolution

- Annual election to select Chair and Vice Chair

Eagles: Process, going to do nominations, and you can certainly self nominate. For each nomination, ask for a second, then we'll ask the nominee if they accept. Once we finish that, we'll take the vote, and repeat the same process for Vice Chair. Any nominations for Chair?

Dickey: Nominate Kate.

Dawon: Second.

Eagles: Other nominations?

Newhouser: We appreciate your service.

Eagles: I will accept. Think we vote on this now.

Whitman: Do open up for public comment before each vote.

No public comment.

8-0.

Eagles: Same process for Vice Chair. Nominate Arthur.

Dawson: Decline, will tell the reason. Have enjoyed being in the executive positions here, but feel like it's time to shift things a little bit, by stepping down give someone else a chance to move in. Would like to nominate Patricia.

Dickey: Second.

Galindo: Accept the nomination.

Eagles: Any other nominations? Public comment?

No public comment.

Eagles: All in favor?

8-0.

8. Consideration of items for future agenda

Receive

Eagles: Do want to say we have not neglected the conversation on having a young person join the MAC, let Hannah give an update on that.

Whitman: In talks with County Administrators office, waiting to get some answers back but planning to provide an update at our next meeting.

Newhouser: That's one will have on agenda, any other timely issues that are being addressed by county that could have presentation on?

Whitman: Know we put this list together using the calendar of significant items coming before the board at an earlier meeting, but don't have those specific dates in front of me.

Dickey: General Plan for Sonoma County entering time when input from public is important. Glen Ellen has its own specific plan, think it would be worthy of conversation to determine if we want to have an ad hoc committee to have input into that General Plan.

Newhouser: Feel this is something good to address sooner than later?

Dickey: Have to be participant early enough so understand process by which make the decisions. Make requests, does not have to be in planner-ese.

Newhouser: Appreciate that, to Kate's point, would this be something you would want on the agenda for the next meeting?

Dickey: Yes, because of the timing of it, would want to have a discussion about whether we would want to have an ad hoc committee associated with General Plan participation. Not going to be able to go into Sonoma Valley. Because Glen Ellen has it's own specific plan associated with very specific design details, chance to examine them or preserve them.

Newhouser: Do you want to present? Can get that information to them?

Dickey: Sure, and would rather if someone else did.

Eagles: And we can check on timing, not sure when this is coming on the Supervisor's calendar.

Dickey: It's a long process, thought it would be worthy of discussion.

Dawson: Last year, we did the pavement preservation assessment, is that something that happens every year?

Whitman: Every two years.

Eagles: Can look at Supervisor's calendar too and make sure what we're doing makes sense.

Oldroyd: What about getting a bridge update?

Whitman: Hooker Creek?

Nardo Morgan: Might be over by next meeting.

Dickey: Think it is supposed to be over in thirty days.

Eagles: Other thing we have to consider, if there is a big joint meeting, in addition to our meeting or in place of?

Whitman: If doing a joint meeting, think it would replace regular meeting.

Eagles: Anything else?

Dickey: Had discussion at some point on having these meetings every sixty days instead of every thirty?

Eagles: Did have some discussion about that, I was not in favor at the time.

Newhouser: Precedent, some other MACs meet less frequently?

Whitman: District 5 MACs used to meet every other month, one started to meet monthly, the other still meets every other month.

Dickey: Bring it up because think it's worthy of that discussion. If consolidate energy and interest into meetings that are less frequent, but have more compelling information, can increase more of the energy associated with the meetings. My only thought behind it. Eventually, SDC will have some more heat on it. Imagine some water updates will have more heat on them, but in general, if reduce the need for thirty days, can consolidate more energy.

Eagles: Think this conversation intertwined with better outreach. Let's think about this, figure out how to talk about that for the agenda next month.

Dickey: Great point.

Nardo Morgan: It is disappointing, body that is supposed to represent the public, public is not showing up. Have to have something of impact that the public wants to show up for.

Eagles: Anything else? Or if think of something, send to Hannah.

No public comment.

Dawson: As part of the transportation committee, going to email Janice with my thoughts.

Oldroyd: Me too.

Newhouser: Going to send the photos of the broken fences?

Dawson: Yes.

Peña: Wanted to mention, in Kenwood, were recipients of road repaving in fire area on Treehaven and Green St. Terrific job, minimal impact, in and out very quickly, looks great.

Newhouser: Wanted to mention, still been struggling to get improvements done to Firehouse Triangle. Angela gave me contact for a landscape designer, got in touch with, he's now expressing an interest, hoping be able to work with him on design that ultimately will be community improvement project. Ad hoc Patricia and I are working on, now we have an opening, talked to Kristen who presented at our last meeting, follow up conversation to get her input on our plan. Will then consult with my fellow ad hoc members, revise accordingly. Helpful to have her input.

No public comment.

10. Adjourn

Resolution

Eagles: Motion to adjourn?

First: Nardo Morgan

Second: Newhouser

8-0

Meeting adjourned 7:28pm

COMMITMENT TO CIVILITY: The North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council has adopted rules of procedures which include a commitment to civility. To assure civility in its public meetings, the public is encouraged to engage in respectful dialog that supports freedom of speech and values diversity of opinion. Councilmembers, staff, and members of the public are expected to establish and maintain a cordial and respectful atmosphere during discussions; and foster meaningful dialogue free of personal attacks. Members of the public must also adhere to the speaking time limit.

Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the North Valley Municipal Advisory Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the Board of Supervisors' Office located at 575 Administration Drive, Room 100-A, Santa Rosa, CA, during normal business hours.

Note: Consideration of agenda items will proceed as follows:

1. Presentation
2. Questions by Councilmembers
3. Questions and comments from the public
4. Response by presenter, if required
5. Comments by Councilmembers
6. Resolution, if indicated

Web Links: <https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/North-Valley-Municipal-Advisory-Council/>