



North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council

NOTICE OF MEETING AND AGENDA
In Person Meeting: Kenwood Depot
314 Warm Springs Rd, Kenwood, CA 95452
June 20, 2023
5:30 PM



Contact: Hannah Whitman, Board Aide for Supervisor Susan Gorin – hannah.whitman@sonoma-county.org

As of March 1, 2023, the Governor has rescinded the Emergency Proclamation related to the COVID-19 pandemic. **With this rescission, all Boards, Councils, and Commissions following the Brown Act must return to meeting in person** with some limited exceptions for individual appointed and elected officials on a case-by-case basis.

Remote participation by the public may continue if there are sufficient staff resources to allow this option. For the June 20 meeting of the North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council, we will be offering a hybrid option for the public to view the meeting and make public comment. Please note this is a new development and we have limited staff resources, so this option is subject to technical difficulties.

North Sonoma Valley MAC Chair Kate Eagles will be participating in the meeting via teleconference from Gravity Haus Truckee-Tahoe, 10918 Brockway Rd., Truckee, CA 96161. This agenda shall be posted at that location.

Zoom Conference Meeting

<https://sonomacounty.zoom.us/j/91807837093?pwd=MGFpMFpVemYyakF2KzFvVk5hY2MrZz09>

Passcode: 446888

Meeting ID: 918 0783 7093

Dial by your location: +1 (669) 900-9128 US (San Jose)

Due to the potential for technical difficulties, it is recommended that members of the public who wish to address the commission consider attending in person, or submitting comments in advance via e-mail to Hannah Whitman, Board Aide for Supervisor Susan Gorin, at hannah.whitman@sonoma-county.org

1. Call to Order, Pledge of Allegiance, Roll Call

Call to Order: 5:35

Eagles: Call meeting to order. Pledge of Allegiance. Vice Chair Dawson, land acknowledgement and roll?

Dawson: We acknowledge that the citizens and community served by the NSV MAC, occupy the unseeded ancestral lands of the Coast Miwok, closely related to neighboring indigenous peoples: Pomo, Wapo, and others. Asking forgiveness for past transgressions they and their ancestors experienced, we humbly invite them to join us in person or in spirit as we give gratitude for their ongoing stewardship of this place since time in memorial. Recognizing how much we benefit from their continuing presence as culture keepers and teachers, we commit ourselves to building positive and lasting relationships with our local indigenous community and to honor all the diverse peoples in our region.

Roll

Present: Eagles, Dawson, Oldroyd, Nardo Morgan

Absent: Handron, Dickey, Newhouser, Galindo

Eagles: Great. Thank you everyone for being here at first hybrid meeting, seems like it's working so far. We did approve our commitment to civility statement at our last meeting. You'll find that at the end of the agenda.

2. Approval of May 17, 2023 minutes

Resolution

Eagles: Move on to the approval of the May 17th minutes. Any amendments or corrections to the minutes that wanted to note? If not, would anyone like to make a motion to approve?

First: Dawson

Second: Nardo Morgan

4-0

3. Public Comment

Receive

(Limited to items not appearing on the agenda)

Eagles: Third agenda item is for public comment, for any items that are not appearing on the agenda. If they're on the agenda, please hold your comment. I guess we'll take them in the room first, and then we might have some through the webinar as well.

Whitman: Sure. Anyone in the room like to make a comment?

Nardo Morgan: Can we make comment?

Whitman: There's reports and announcements for council members closer to the end, or could do now.

Eagles: Just wanted to note a couple of things that were in my notes that I neglected. We have no written public comments that have come in. I think typically, we let public comment and then we allow board member comments, if that works for everybody.

Whitman: So I'll go ahead and check our online participants. No raised hands.

No public comment.

Nardo Morgan: Just wanted to share with everybody a fantastic exhibit currently in San Francisco, many of you maybe know Dr. Bernie Krause, really true visionary in the field of bioacoustics and soundscape ecology. He's travelled all over the world recording sounds in nature, lives in Glen Ellen, and I had the honor of being invited to the gala and opening night of his exhibit at the Exploratorium in San Francisco, called the Great Animal Orchestra, and highly encourage everyone to see it. It's showing through the summer, exhibit made its U.S. premiere, previously shown in Paris, in London, in Australia, the Sydney Opera House. Bernie is now not just a Sonoma County treasure, but he was honored on following day by the French Embassy, and was knighted and awarded the Medal of the Order of Arts and Letters, prestigious and high level international award. True hero, international treasure. Just wanted to bring that to the attention of everyone.

Dawson: Thanks, Angela, that's on my list of things to do.

Eagles: Wow! Thank you Angela and well done. Is that a standing exhibit at the Exploratorium. In other words, you need to purchase tickets, or book in advance?

Nardo Morgan: Yes, I think the tickets are \$30 per person and it's its own separate. Really amazing soundscapes and whales and frogs and all kinds of creatures. And just it's really beautiful.

Eagles: Great. So we had no public comment in the room. Was that correct do we have any other public comment?

Whitman: And there are no raised hands amongst attendees.

4. Supervisor Gorin Update

Receive

Eagles: Next item on our agenda is Supervisor Gorin's update, and I believe the Supervisor is there. Turn it over to you.

Gorin: Thank you. You are a brave MAC to Chair remotely, and new world of having remote visitation and comments. It's not easy. You will need to look at the Owl and speak loudly, otherwise that creature will not pick up your voice. Sonoma Valley Regional Service Center that's going to be located in the Nelson building, just south and east of Taco Bell and Plaza Grill right at the intersection. Going to be having a public meeting tomorrow night on the Verano and Highway 12 intersection, meeting at El Verano school, 6 o'clock. Caltrans is going to be there, also the city and the county going to be

there, to talk and listen to the community about what they want to see, the steps that are being proposed to make that intersection safer. As many of you know, fatalities there and injuries there. we have a lot of traffic and a lot of conditions, traffic moves really fast, folks going over to the skate park with their bicycles and skateboards, want to access the park. Park will open soon, want everybody to be safe. Someone was asking me, how many things do I go to each day? It's my pleasure to be here tonight and thank you all for being here. One of the other report items is budget hearings, were able to back a number important requests from our departments. Did all support \$8 million request to complete the infrastructure, to enable affordable housing in Roseland plaza to be constructed, formative project for Roseland area. But, had some leftover funding, allocated \$4 million for the other four districts. We all have priorities and projects that we want to fund. My top priority was funding Larsen Park renovations. Had a good conversation with Steve Ehret and Bert Whitaker today on how that funding might be used. Still finalizing the details of the park. A little hidden park, but so well loved by the community. Pickleball players, cracks on the courts, not enough bathrooms, not regulation size soccer fields. Was exciting to have the Springs MAC picnic there on Saturday, looking at what might happen with the park renovations. Hope to put that out to bid soon. May go through summer season and not have access to the pickle ball courts, tennis courts, soccer field. It will be worth it, but it's going to be an inconvenience for many folks to shift their recreation time. Really speaks to what might happen on the site of the SDC. Because there are a number of community projects, parks that the community has enjoyed over the years, probably needs renovation. Haven't quite figured out the solution to lack of funding, but I am talking with them about maybe an earn infrastructure financing district that's larger than just that site, or bonding. And we need to work on some grant applications through the infrastructure grant for the Donald Street Gap, that section that still does not have sidewalks on Highway 12. So there are a number of other priorities, and but I'm so excited to be able to report that we do have funding for Larson Park, because I've been lifting up all kinds of rocks and poking at legislators trying to figure out where I can get some earmarks to that park. I still did not have great news for resolution on how we create sustainable funding for parks and for bike paths and lanes still work in progress. Concluded our budget hearings in record time, concluded Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. I'm available to answer questions, and I'm delighted to see so many folks here. Thank you for coming.

Eagles: Any councilmember questions for Supervisor Gorin?

Nardo Morgan: Just wanted to ask about the regional service center, what exactly is going to happen there?

Gorin: Building is very unique, almost two separate buildings conjoined conference room between the two sections, the county has is finally signing the lease for the larger part of it. I will have an office that will probably be used as a conference room, Karina will have an office. We have health and human services. I'm trying to be in conversation with the Community Development Commission regarding the placement of a housing locator, so that if people need housing they could come in, figure out how to sign up for coordinated entry or vouchers, and to understand that process. A lot still to be determined, but there will be services delivered there. I know the Health Center wants to have a health navigator there. The other part of the building, the Catalyst Fund is working with the number of nonprofits in the valley to figure out what organization might benefit by having an office there. So you can see the collaboration between this between the community and the county, which is a fabulous concept.

Nardo Morgan: I know Ecology Center looking for new offices.

Gorin: And they're moving in, across from KSVY in City of Sonoma. They'll keep part of their operation there on the site, maybe the lab and the vegetation restoration part of it, and then the office function will move into nice, clean, recently painted walls. Nelson building, we're still trying to complete some of the tenant improvements of the building. Catalyst is still trying to figure out what nonprofits might go in there. It's a smaller space than the county space and I think we'll have a ribbon cutting and an open house August through October.

Dawson: You mentioned something about a special district that was would be funded by earned income, something or other, could you describe that more?

Gorin: Infrastructure financing district. Most people don't know that this funding mechanism was crafted after the dissolution of redevelopment. She said that communities will need a financing mechanism to fund some of the infrastructure that had been funded during redevelopment. It hasn't been used a lot, you have to draw battery, you have to have a vote of the people. You have to have a committee, an oversight committee that plans what projects are going to be funded by that. And so it's a public meeting. We're thinking about multiple ways to finance some services. For example, the community plaza, that I will be moving on, the county is now doing due diligence and figuring out how

we might construct the community plaza. Who's gonna maintain it? So that is it to be determined. But we could merge into the community services district that already exists to maintain, eventually. And, you should know that Lynda Hopkins and I serve on an ad hoc committee called unincorporated communities. And so we've been meeting to talk about, how do we get a handle on what services the county provides in the unincorporated communities, of the river area and the Springs area, and Glen Ellen and Kenwood, trying to figure out what the gap is, but also the infrastructure needs of the unincorporated communities. The cities pretty well take care of those areas in the cities. It's just the populated areas in the unincorporated that I think we would be surprised how many services and what the funding level is in those unincorporated communities. But we don't know what it is yet. So on July 11th will be a discussion at board on district formation, probably trying to surface some of the ways to finance districts in certain areas and as well as the report from the rest of the unincorporated community.

Dawson: Are you familiar with New York State has a village designation for incorporation?

Gorin: Don't; so New York, does California?

Dawson: Doesn't, something between city and unincorporated. My grandfather lived in one in upstate New York, I'll send information.

Gorin: Good to get information, and I don't spend a lot of time on something that's not doable in California. So this is something that might think about it and talk to our legislators about creating such a designation. I grew up in a township in Pennsylvania, can't recall whether they have a city council or anything. But there are lots of places that have townships. It may be similar to a village.

Dawson: Yeah, I don't know much about that kind of government, grew up in a township New Jersey

Gorin: Any other questions?

Kate Eagles: I have one Supervisor Gordon, that you didn't speak to, and I think this is resolving itself to some degree. But I've had residents who use the SDC, a little a little concerned about the gates that are going up. I think the rhythm of those gates open and closing getting more established now. Presume they are security gates, so people aren't driving in there. But can you speak to that at all, do you know what the intention is?

Gorin: They don't really tell me what they're doing, but we can suspect they're trying to close off the campus while we're in this lawsuit limbo. And so they're trying to keep some level of security and some level of folks off the campus while this is playing out, and from my understanding the lawsuit may go to court early next year. So it's going to be while.

Eagles: Okay, thought while we had you here, we'd ask if it's any other information anyone had about the gates, but it seems like we're in a stable place now with the gates they're in, and they're functioning, as I suppose, as they're intended to.

Gorin: The State is responsible for continuing fire services as well as maintenance and operations and security. That's the good news for us. We don't have to finance that and have some level of comfort that they're doing, that I did talk with Steve Akre. I think, he will be in conversations regarding the location for a new fire station on the campus, and perhaps we might think about it's not only fire station, but could there be a community room, a training room associated with that. Perhaps a place for a setup for emergency Operations Center or incident command center. We know that we have a need in the valley for that. So none of that has been discussed. And it's incorporated really with the specific plan, all of those kind of operational and planning details are yet to really be worked out, or be discussed even.

Nardo Morgan: Is that the potential idea on the east side, the Calfire station?

Gorin: I've not heard from Calfire about their interest. They came to me a number of years ago, expressing their interest for a very large footprint. I went, that's right where prime housing and access to the reservoir is. And so sort of said, how many years do you want to be in limbo? And I said should look at Los Guilicos. And they did, so that's why they're up there. Don't have any further information about Calfire's interest. But I know that the immediate need has been satisfied by the resident camp at Los Guilicos.

Eagles: Thank you, Supervisor Gorin. Any other comments or questions from council members, and then we'll open it up to public comment? Anyone in the public have a question or comment. Please raise your hand either in the room or virtually.

Whitman: There are no hands raised in the room, but I can take a look at our online attendees. No hands.

No public comment.

5. Permit Sonoma Fire Prevention Division Chipper Program

Receive

- Permit Sonoma to provide information on seasonal chipper program

Eagles: Thank you again, Supervisor Gorin, for your report. Next going to move on to item 5. I'd like to introduce Bradley Dunn and Christina Smith from Permit Sonoma.

Dunn: My name is Bradley Dunn, External Affairs and Policy Manager for Permit Sonoma, promoting some of the great fire prevention services that Permit Sonoma offers. Christina Smith going to give you a short presentation about a couple of those services, including our chipper and wildfire adapted programs.

Smith: Thanks, Bradley, for the introduction, thank you for inviting us to the MAC meeting tonight. Want to quickly talk to you all about a couple of the free programs that we offer at Permit Sonoma. First, as mentioned the chipper program. It's a free program, summertime and wildfire season is just getting started. Increase your property's wildfire resiliency by getting rid of brushy and dry debris. Chipping crew provides two hours free chipping services for property owners in the unincorporated areas of the county. Taking applications right now. So don't hesitate. Get your wood piles ready and apply today. How to apply? Have to read the chipper program guidelines. This is an important step, do not skip. Second, have to stack and place piles according to the program guidelines. Third, apply online, application is available online only. Really need everyone to follow program guidelines, otherwise your chipping application can be denied or delayed. If want second visit from the Chipper crew later in the season, make sure that you indicate that on your application. Another great program that we offer in 14 areas, including around your area in the county, is called Wildfire Adapted. We know can be confusing trying to figure out what the best way forward is to protect your home and property from wildfire, and that's what this program offers. Offers you a chance to speak with defensible space and home hardening experts about potential wildfire risks on or around your home. The assessments that these experts perform also provide you with a report of their findings. And you get to keep that the list of findings, and they also provide you recommended solutions to utilize. Assessments are not part of any code compliance program. Has potential to help you keep your home safe and your community safe from wildfire. So please take advantage of this program. Currently offering free home wildfire risk assessments. That's where a home hardening expert is going to go to your house schedule with you. First go to your house and assess any of the potential ignition risks around your home. If you have any questions or need help scheduling again, just email us. Again, remember these are free services, they're there to help you reduce your home and community's risk to wildfire.

Dunn: Happy to answer any questions from the MAC that you may have about either of these programs. Excited, the chipper program every year one of our most popular programs, not having to rent a chipper, attach it to your vehicle, people are really excited about making sure that they're clearing any brush, vegetative matter that might be drying out. Inspections from SoCo Adapts really great way to get an expert to tell you about things that you might not know about how to protect your home. The things that most often cause ignition of your home are less than the size of a pea, those embers, and so a home hardening expert can really help you understand how to guard against those small risks that create big problems.

Eagles: Councilmembers, any questions?

Nardo Morgan: Great program, thank you for this presentation. Wanted to ask, how can we get this out to the public because just so important that people find out about this.

Dunn: Have a variety of tools that we're using, press release, local press, posting on social media, through the county's various newsletters. Could use your help spreading the news. Have a packet, a toolkit, draft social media posts. We'd

love for the MAC to send, telling your friends and neighbors. Sign up yourself, and then tell your friends and neighbors, You are the most trusted validator for your friends, your family, your neighbors. So as leaders in the community, we really could use your help.

Nardo Morgan: Alright, thank you. We have two great organizations here, Glen Ellen Forum and Kenwood Press, maybe they can put it on their website and we'll get that out.

Eagles: Great.

Oldroyd: Is there a backup when you apply, I mean, do you have a flux of applications during the summer season? Or do you get right in?

Smith: For the chipper program, or for wildfire adapted?

Oldroyd: Actually, both of them?

Smith: For the chipper program you'll just apply and the crew will just go to your residence. You don't even have to be home. They won't schedule it with you. That's why it's important to have those wood files stacked and piled before you apply. So that way it's ready for them. When they go in they'll take care of it, and then they're gone. For wildfire adapted, the structure, the home wildfire risk assessment, you'll check if you're in the program area. Then you'll schedule a pre assessment with our home hardening experts, they'll talk to you about like if you want to be there when they do the assessment. If you're not, that's okay, then, if you aren't, that's fine, they'll email you the report anyways, and then they'll actually schedule with you when they come on your property.

Dunn: Then for the chipper, it's one of those things where they try to do a bunch of different projects in the same area, maximize efficiency. So they're not driving to Bodega, and then to Kenwood, to just make sure that there's enough in your area, get those kind of done in one fell swoop. And we know, it's really important to do these things on our property, doesn't just protect our properties. It also protects our neighbor's properties as well.

Eagles: Christina, for the wildfire adapted, I have sort of a suburban subdivision home. So I would think no, that doesn't pertain to me. Does it? What kind of properties are suitable to have a wildfire adapted assessment.

Smith: As long as it's considered an improved parcel. So as long as you have a structure and you're in the program area, the assessor will go in, assess the primary structure on the parcel. Really just a matter if you're within the program area or not.

Dunn: So we get to these questions a lot, because, we have a grant funding for some projects in some areas, and often get the question why not funding that exists in other areas. And so for wildfire adapted looked at 14 areas across the county selected based on wildfire hazard severity, population density, potential for home loss. And then consultation with local fire authorities. Christina had slide, areas in and near the North Sonoma Valley MAC that are program areas. So it's not just one particular type of property, you know. So if you are in one of these areas we really want you to get those assessments. It's the things that are really going to make a difference. If you go to SoCoAdapts.org it'll have a picture that allows you to zoom in so you don't have to squint at this one, you can find your parcel. You can find your neighbors parcels and so we would really appreciate you all's help making sure that everybody knows about this great program.

Eagles: Great. That map again was helpful. Thank you. Any other council member comments? Any of our community attendees would have a question or comment there?

Whitman: Okay, we do have a question.

Public Comment: Just two quick questions. What is the deadline to apply to both programs, and I'm sorry you may have mentioned it.

Dunn: Chipper program usually goes through about November. Kind of weather dependent based on when the end of fire season is, if we run out of capacity or if we run out of places to chip. Sometimes lend it out to local fire departments.

And we'll go back to properties for a second time to get a second round of chipping. We really do encourage people to sign up early. If get the work done earlier, it reduces risk for longer. Helps to get a cluster of folks in the same area. Makes it easier for the chipper folks to go from job to job, make those routes really efficient. Then with the wildfire adapted, trying to get people to sign up for those home hardening assessments as soon as possible, make sure that we secure the second half of grant that includes the rebate process. Also scheduling is a little bit more complicated because can't just show up and chip something and then leave. Spend fair amount of time making sure that they understand your property. Really encouraging people to do those, both as soon as possible, trying to wrap those up also by the fall.

Public Comment: Ran column in Kenwood Press about the chipper program, but somehow the press release on the home hardening assessments got lost in inbox, mind resending.

Dunn: Can resend the press release. Have also sent physical mail to everybody that is in that space. Physical mail, they can use the website, but we will also send you more information on that on the wildfire adapted program as well.

Whitman: And we've got another question from the public.

Public Comment: Chipper program, offered every year, or just based on funding?

Dunn: Offered every year, board has been generous and reauthorizing the funding for this every year so that we can continue to have this free program. People just really happy about the program, can save literally hundreds of dollars, or if you're doing it yourself, a lot of work. Not everybody can, you know, has a vehicle, can haul chipper, not everybody has strength to throw everything in the chipper, so we're really glad that the service exists.

Public Comment: Is there is a program for removing dead trees, maybe more specifically, trees that burned in the wildfires.

Dunn: Chipper program not designed specifically for dead trees. But if you chop the trees and put them in a pile they will chip the trees. So if you do that kind of work, put it in a pile and apply through the program, they'll come and chip it for you. No program for removing the trees and putting them in piles.

Whitman: And now I'm seeing no further hands in the public.

Eagles: Want to thank Bradley and Christina for being here tonight and presenting. I appreciate that. Please share the press releases.

Dunn: Appreciate you having us tonight.

Eagles: Have a good evening, bye.

6. Glen Ellen Forum

Receive

- Members of Glen Ellen Forum to provide update on current activities and initiatives

Kate Eagles: Next item an update by the Glen Ellen Forum, we have Debbie Lammers and Katie Everidge, they will provide an update on current activities and initiatives for the Forum.

Lammers: I'm Debbie Lammers, on the Board of the Forum and my colleague, Katie Everidge and I are here to present an overview. I'd like to identify our board members here, useful for folks in our communities to know who's involved. I've been on the board for a couple of years, and am now the President, the Vice President is Amanda Shone. Former President Melissa Dowling. Katie Everidge is our Secretary, Mary Guerrazzi is our Treasurer. Our other board members are Bean Anderson, Pat Carlin, Alice Horowitz, Rob Schermeister, and Nancy Padian. We have a number of key committee members that do the day to day operations, if you will. But not really day to day. Have a projects committee, Chair Laurie Pile, and our steering committee Chair is Nick Brown. Other committees that work on projects as they come up. But overall those are the working bodies of our forum. Did bring some flyers, information for you all, has information about our activities. Give a brief overview of our current projects and our ongoing projects. Most of you are familiar with the Arnold Dr. Triangle Project, which is near the fire station, been an ongoing project for a while, Mr. Newhouser, Mark is taking the lead on that project, and he's been involved working with various agencies and departments around

improving the triangle by the fire station. We also have a project, Dunbar Point, which is part of the Glen Oaks Ranch, which is owned by Sonoma Land Trust, one of our residents suggested to the Land Trust that the Forum play a role in improving that intersection of HWY 12, Arnold Drive and Dunbar Road, parcel left over from the Glen Oaks Ranch. That was when it was divided up when for HWY 12. Small piece, but it is the entrance to Glen Ellen we've taken on a project to improve that location in terms of visibility, fire safety, attractiveness as an entry to Glen Ellen. License agreement that we have made with Sonoma Land Trust, first such agreement that the Land Trust has done with a small community organization nonprofit, wonderful to work with in. Ongoing, have completed what I've called phase one, although there's really not a delineation, completed the initial chipping and log removal, the fires damage there, and we've had a number of volunteers done a lot of the pre work, had contractor do the more dangerous part of clearing fire debris, and that's done now. Next organize around what our next step it should be in terms of improving that project. Also do community clean up projects a couple of times a year. Laurie Pile is here, Projects Committee chair, and we have recently been involved to improve the trash situation at the Post Office. Won't go into all the details, but everything seems to be working at the moment, been a couple of folks involved in helping us with that most notably the postmaster at the Glen Ellen Post Office and the property owner. In the throes as we speak of designating a summer community event. I won't go into any detail yet, things aren't nailed down, but we're hopeful that we'll have a community event such as we had last spring in April we had a community picnic at Jack London Park. It was very successful and very well attended. Laurie organized most of it, was really a wonderful event, and we had folks from all over coming, and it was great. Will also have a booth at the Glen Ellen Village Fair shout out to the fair folks. We also maintain bulletin board at Village Market and the Slow Down, Glen Ellen signs that you see around the roads and neighborhoods come from the Glen Ellen Forum, and have a new supply of those. And we have our extensive communication network, emails with our newsletters, social media postings and other timely notices that we put out in our newsletters. I would like to introduce Katie Everidge our Board Secretary.

Everidge: I'd like to just share some information about the history of the Glen Ellen Village Forum and how it became the nonprofit it is today. As we all know Glen Ellen is small but mighty. There's been a lot of history of the town coming together. And the Forum, as we see it started a couple certain foundations couple of decades ago, 2002 over 200 concerned Glen Ellen residents. Came together at Dunbar School to create what was then the Glen Ellen Town Forum designed to be a catalyst for building community, to air concerns, express ideas, and to develop a collective vision for the town's future. That kind of kicked it off, but wasn't until a decade later, more, actually, Supervisor Gorin reached out to our community member, Leslie Vaughan and said, what is going on? What would they like to see? Leslie, along with Jim Sheer, got together and said, you know, what we really need is the community's involvement, need the voice of the community, diverse comment, input. Jim and Leslie started what was the first Town Hall October 1st, 2016. Started monthly meeting, the creation of the steering committee, and the Glen Ellen Forum, which was then in the summer of 2018 incorporated as a nonprofit. Jim and Leslie were the co-founders, past board members include Angela here. Margie Foster, Tracy Salcedo, Dave Sheperman, and Jess Patina, was a board member of just up until April. As a board member, we have elections in April for two year term. Do have one open position, if anyone's interested in joining one more board, please email us for. On top of that, as Debbie is saying, we have committee chairs, so Nick Brown is also here, the steering committee. So the steering committee puts on what was the monthly meetings we used to have the first Monday of every month a monthly meeting, variety if locations, and then, just like everyone else during the pandemic, it went to Zoom. Had great participation, in the beginning of the pandemic saw continuous numbers. And then noticed within the past year the number started dropping, decision was made to go back into in-person meetings, had our first in person in May, and we're now actually going to quarterly. Quarterly meetings will be February, May, August and November, next meeting on August 7th, at 6:30. We're hoping to host it at the Jack London Lodge back patio. May, had great turn out, what we were hoping after seeing some lower numbers over the Zoom, and maybe Zoom fatigue. Also hoping we'll have more time in between to have more social events. I think everyone, especially, you know, my introduction to the Forum as a community member was right after the fires, when we hosted a lot of community events and get the community together. Would love to continue doing that and having some room in between the in-person meetings to do social events. Looking for Chair of engagement committee, always putting that out to the community because we are all volunteers. The board we get together quarterly as well, but there's no members, all volunteer. It's all in the involvement. Don't have an opinion or pick aside, or anything. Here as a place for the community to get together, to voice their opinions, highlight things that are going on within the community.

Lammers: Did have a Christmas party, really well attended, children, families. Social aspect ramping up. Do have all the necessary formal documentation we've got bylaws, policy manuals. We've got all the real paperwork. Operate rather informally, though, because we are just a board and committee members, basically a small group of us. Think the description as an organic community collaboration is our kind of operating mantra. That's the Forum and we look

forward to our social events and also our quarterly informational sessions on a whole range of topics. I've listed some more details on the back side of the flyer, you'll see the more the details about the organization.

Everidge: We really encourage all community members to also join our email lists. Even in between meetings we still have a monthly email that goes out to give you information on things that are going on in the community, multiple places for information to go out to the community on meetings or things that aren't necessarily hosted by ourselves, but the community might be interested in going to.

Lammers: We have a very expensive email list. We can get the word out.

Gorin: Thank you, great to have report from Glen Ellen Forum, hope this continues. Background for Glen Ellen Triangle. Neighbor part time resident, was very concerned about construction activity that was happening, she wanted to close it off and create a park there, and so we did a lot of investigation at the county and said. No, this is an easement. It's very important to the county. Absolutely, we can work with the community to come up with a design to improve its function and aesthetics. Big community meeting, and there are a lot of opinions ventured at the community meeting. After that meeting I called up Shannon, and I said, you need to re-activate the Glen Allen Association because one person should not be speaking for the community. They need to find your voice. The other thing that came from meeting was need for signs. So 6, 7 years ago. We're still having conversations. A word of caution, because it is county easement, please work with our office that we've been working with Transportation and Public Works, and to make sure it's still usable for the fire station. They use that as well. Talked with Caltrans about right hand turn lane at HWY 12 and Arnold intersection. So if you talk about doing something at Dunbar triangle, please work through our office so that we can work with Caltrans. To decide where their right way is, where the county's right away is. And it's been a very frustrating process, so. But we'll try and help you out there. I'd love to get at that intersection. Land Trust owns that intersection?

Lammers: Yes, as I mentioned the Glen Ellen Forum is improving the property by virtue of the license agreement with the Sonoma Land Trust, they are actually funding, we do have donors that have supplied some funds for the improvement in terms of professional expenses to do the real heavy duty works that we've already just finished. But Land Trust owns the property.

Gorin: And we go round and round with property owners just adjoining with trees, that we have no idea what getting himself into. I really appreciate you.

Lammers: We have determined what we think is the property line between the Land Trust property line, the Caltrans easement and Mr. Taylor's property. Pretty much determined where that is that we have in essence cleared up to that. And there was a small roadside fire. I believe it was last year. It was probably a cigarette from a car, but it landed right in that spot between us, between the Land Trust and then the adjacent property. Did remove some of the dead trees.

Gorin: Thank you. And if you could provide your contact information to Hannah. So we make sure that you're on our district newsletter.

Eagles: Thank you. No, that's okay. It is a little confusing. Thank you both councilmembers. Questions or comments for Debbie or Katie?

Dawson: First of all, thank you for all that you guys are doing it for. Forum is a great community resource. And when the fire hit like just a year after the Forum formed, it was really an incredible benefit for community at that point. And continues to be so. Thank you. Also, if you have any thoughts on how we've advertised ourselves as the MAC and you may know there was little bit of friction getting the MAC started because some people thought we were going to compete with the Forum which I'm very happy to say, don't feel like that's happening. It's like we're working separately, but often we're working together to similar goals. And so if you have any thoughts on how we can work more closely or ways we can assist?

Lammers: I would say we're out in the right path right here, down that road right now, I think that any disconnect might be, just lack of communication and a lack of presentation. I don't mean that this, but I mean in terms of the organization, the county agency, you all, and our community nonprofit. As long as we are communicating fully and available to each other. I think we'll be moving forward.

Dawson: Agree.

Everidge: I think that's important. The board has talked about, there's several projects where we see overlap and working with you guys. And to, you know, actually get things moving forward.

Lammers: If I may expound a bit, you may be referring to the our sign efforts, and I think that we are starting down a new road here together to work out the future plans for those projects in terms of the community signage. We have experts with us and wonderful volunteers and community members.

Dawson: Thinking of earlier on, you know, a few years ago. Keep talking, worked it out.

Eagles: Absolutely. Signs ad hoc unfortunately not here tonight. I think that would be something we'd like to look at moving forward. We don't have that on the agenda to get into specifics, anyway. But that would be something I think would be good to, you know. Talk about in the near term moving forward.

Nardo Morgan: I should add to that that, having worked with both groups. And now this group, I think we're actually very different, but also very complimentary, and I mean I'm only one person. But I feel like our role is really to be of service to the community and to be help to be a voice for the community, and I can see nothing but for us to collaborate. And that's what I would love to see, look at the members of the Forum in this room, and I just see the outstanding members of the community. That is what you are all about, and you should be applauded. I've worked with you, and our role is collaborate. And I believe we want to do that. Thanks.

Eagles: Agreed any other councilmembers, thoughts or comments? And before we open it up to any public comments. Do we have any comments or questions in the room there, Hannah?

Whitman: Take a look. Go right ahead.

Public Comment: This is Melissa. I'm going to make a small attempt to be a little elaborate on the history that Katie brought up. Something that we spent a lot of time discussing is that there's no concept of a member of the Glen Ellen Forum, that it doesn't exist. There is a Board of Directors of the Glen Ellen Forum. There are our committees but anybody who, and then the definition is, lives in Glen Ellen, has property in Glen Ellen, or is involved in a business in Glen Ellen, works in Glen Ellen, automatically is included in that umbrella is welcome to participate or not participate. Entity, can participate in any time, there's no joining in. It can't be a conflict with anything, because it doesn't have an opinion about anything. So anyone who wants to work on a project work can, I think that the people who expressed concern about conflict don't live here anymore. Use the terminology of member just because it's easy, but the concept of a member of Glen Ellen Forum is anyone.

Whitman: Anyone else in the public, questions? Not seeing any other hands.

Eagles: Okay, well, thank you. Debbie and Katie and members who I can't see and who joined us tonight, we really appreciate you being here. Thanks again. Yeah.

7. Consideration of items for future agenda

Receive

- Councilmembers to share ideas and interests, discuss agenda items for remainder of 2023 meetings

Kate Eagles: Next agenda item is number 7 considerations of items for future agenda and we thought we would encourage our council members to think about this a little bit prior to the meeting, we always have this item. Make sure we were hitting agenda topics that were of interest to the community. Couple of ways we could do this, couple of ideas from folks who could not be here tonight, and we also could work on screen.

Whitman: I can pull up a spreadsheet. We can make a list there as we go.

Eagles: For anyone visiting tonight, you know, typically the Vice Chair and I meet with Hannah, go through potential agenda items and sort of vet them see who's available to speak with us, come up with the agenda based on what makes sense at the time, and who was available to speak with us. Can certainly prioritize things tonight, but sometimes that

will change, depending on what makes the most sense with schedules. Open it up, fellow councilmembers, any thoughts?

Dawson: Took list, marked things most interested in, for the community and for myself. SCEIP program? Not sure what stands for?

Gorin: Sonoma County Energy Independence Program. Commonly referred to as pace funding, takes out a loan application for funding home hardening, solar installation, battery backup, then the repayment of that loan is, it is on your property taxes. Interesting you should mention that because, as part of the National Association County organization, I'm sponsoring the resolution.

Eagles: You guys have frozen on me. Unfortunately.

Dawson: So the other ones of interest to me was the North Sonoma Mountain Park master plan, the pavement preservation update, the district formation update which I think you addressed earlier, the housing element update, relevance to Kenwood and Glen Ellen, it'd be interesting to hear about. And then the EDB public art policy.

Eagles: I froze for a moment. I'm back. And did you also mention Arthur, the public art policy? Or I heard Supervisor Gordon mention?

Gorin: There may be a new policy for public art, it's coming to the Board in August.

Dawson: An would any signs that are put up, or they come under that, possibly or no.

Gorin: Any signs need to apply for sign permit, and must comply with the permits, and on those sign regulations on the size and take out encroachment permit. So you need to take that permit and really look at sign limitations.

Nardo Morgan: So by public art, are you referring to?

Gorin: Anything, mural could be. Springs looking at painting utility boxes. Creative Sonoma has offered grants for pop up displays, and so if you go on to the Creative Sonoma website, you could get a flavor of the kind of things that they've been doing, sadly, we're going to lose Kristen Madsen as of September.

Dawson: And she spoke to us, I think, a while back.

Oldroyd: Alright. As a representative of Kenwood here, I would like to ask for more representation from Kenwood on this board, and I have some suggestions. I would like to have follow-up on large projects, including that Kenwood Ranch, Café, VJB, anything of that scale. I'd like to get updates on the bike route through Kenwood. Still interested in trying to connect this building with a sidewalk, crosswalk.

Nardo Morgan: Always come back to, I know Susan talked about plaza, in Glen Ellen we really don't have any there, and I keep thinking it would be so lovely to have that kind of beautiful community garden, and not just with vegetables but flowers, and the place for children to play, a gathering space. I just see something like that that everybody can take part in. A lot of these things are government oriented, I would like to see something very deeply connected to the community, and I always think that land can be part of that I'm not sure where that would be, but I have an idea. I have an office at the Jack London Village, and there are 2 big parking lots at either end of that and at one of the parking lots, not really in the center of town, but huge space there that's full of weeds, and he's got sculptures there, and I thought that that's like a perfect place for a garden. If we could somehow get some funding to put that together, would just be lovely.

Gorin: Talk to owner, see if willing to host, turn in a budget and a funding request, but you need permission from the property owner.

Nardo Morgan: Are you telling me I have to do work? I'll talk to him.

Dawson: Along those lines, don't know if you're going to get too far in the weeds on this, so to speak. Parcel for sale by bus stop, that'd be a great playground. I realize it's probably going to get developed. Would there be a way for Permit Sonoma to just designate at least a little bit of public space on that parcel?

Gorin: There is no way for Permit Sonoma to tell a property owner it has to create public space. Unless policy on public art, in which case, what we're proposing is 1% for public art could be a garden could be just a statue piece. And I think you and I have had conversations about the function of SDC, and a potential gathering space in Glen Ellen. There should be will be lots of opportunities. But the question is, and we've had this conversation before, how do we get funding to purchase a parcel or get the property owner to designate some space for public space.

Whitman: Through the Chair, could interrupt process question? So I think the intention from the last meeting was for this to be sort of a living document that we revisit each meeting. But for the purposes of today, do we want to identify things for your July meeting? Or do you want to bring this back when more of the full MAC is here to do the prioritization. That's just the direction I'm looking for.

Eagles: Yeah, no, I love the idea of living document. Well, let's do some loose prioritization, it always depends on if we get the speakers we want, and don't have everyone here tonight, but if we can get a sort of a temperature read on what people feel most strongly about. Not a fully formed idea, but I would like to sort of understand sort of some of the other groups in the valley, what they're working on, ties into new center Supervisor talking about. There's a homeless count in August I saw on the Supervisor's calendar, how do we get the pulse of the valley needs. What else? I think some of the things I had Arthur already mentioned, like housing element. I wanted to talk about public art. Still want to talk about the bike path. But don't know that there's much we can do with an agenda topic at this point. But, Supervisor Gorin, we're always ready. We can add to this conversation in any in any meaningful way, you know.

Dawson: Idea, close off the brick bridge to regular traffic, to be a walking bridge. Just behind post office. See what residents think. Because I just I look at that bridge, just think it seems like it's you know. It's probably pretty compromised. I don't know if the full engineering reports been done on it, but as a walking bridge it's great.

Gorin: Can request inspection of bridge, think that's Caltrans.

Dawson: Maybe the first question to ask is would the county have the authority to close that bridge to regular traffic?

Gorin: Probably not. But if not structurally sound? Will follow up with SoCo Pi Work department to figure out how we get an inspection on the bridge. It may have happened after fire.

Eagles: What about any water updates? Anyone have thoughts on that? We have had updates to water management. We have had a lot of water this year, relatively speaking, anyway, just to just a thought. Anything else? This is a living document, so we'll add to it.

Nardo Morgan: Other question, I think this is for Susan really. Do you remember the Jim Berkland Bridge lighting? Who did that, Caltrans? Wasn't it like \$9,000. Right? Yeah, the original, PG&E did the first one. Because the first one was just spectacular, and probably cannot be redone right? Because it was so expensive.

Gorin: One of the issues with that is connections to power. And it's iffy to figure out how we get power line, one of those things we'd like to work on, designated Glen Ellen as a route for utility line undergrounding. Not sure when that will be constructed, when that is in process, then maybe we could talk about, or when the lawsuit over so we could talk to the developer about accessing or providing power to light the bridge. Our team had a conversation, or will have a conversation, with Tim Zahner of the Visitors Bureau, trying to work together more closely, holiday lighting, also for the Springs, Glen Ellen too, and so now it's the time to have the conversation, and we'll figure out where we will go.

Eagles: The other bridge is done with volunteers and the kindness of I think the restaurant, the Jack London Lodge, and I'm not sure on the other side, if it's someone who lives on the side of the river there. Okay. So what's the best way to prioritize these? Kenwood ideas, as Councilmember Oldroyd has suggested we talk a lot about Glen Ellen. Anyone have strong feelings about definitely starting with some of these.

Gorin: Might look at the calendar for the Board of Supervisors, what items might be coming forward in which month.

Eagles: Yes, some things end up making sense. I'm going to open this up to public comment for ideas and priorities. But if any council members feel pretty strongly that a couple of these things should be focused on, speak up please.

Dawson: Do we want some kind of a joint meeting with the Forum about the signs. We don't want to interfere with your process. But if it works. I can see making that an agenda item.

Eagles: It's a great idea, if the Forum would be interested, we'll check with them on how we make that work.

Nardo Morgan: Debbie, do you have to take back to your board for approval and then get back to us?

Lammers: We have a board meeting in July.

Eagles: Other thoughts from councilmembers, and then maybe we'll throw it out public comment. Anyone else? Any ideas or comments from our folks in the room there, please raise your hand.

Public Comment: On the signage. We have a design. Invite us back, we have a presentation for all the graphics, and we designed them already, and so it's good to go. In fact we could just go to the counter and get it approved. And so we're excited about it. And we just have to get the right audience.

Nardo Morgan: Thank you so much for coming tonight.

Eagles: Anyone else out there. Hannah, have their hand up?

Public Comment: Just concerns about the lighting on the Jim Berkland Bridge. That's a wildlife corridor, and I'm sure that there's a lot of wildlife that use the creek under that bridge to get from one side to the other side. And how does the lighting impact their going back and forth, just a question I've had for a while.

Dawson: Question for Land Trust, I can imagine turning off for certain times.

Gorin: In SDC specific plan, asked for downward facing lighting. So that's in the plan.

Whitman: So, Chair Eagles, I think I have some direction on the signs presentation for next month, and a Kenwood presentation for next month. Is that correct?

Eagles: Yes, if that works, that would be a great one, and we can look at Kenwood and then look at the calendars for the Supervisors. We can look at that to just start playing out the schedule, does that sound okay with folks? If we focus on those two items initially and then start to calendarize additional items?

Nardo Morgan: I wasn't here at the last meeting, but so are we switching permanently now to Tuesday?

Gorin: Yes, and this is the night that the space was available.

Whitman: I'm just going to make this a more functional and better looking document, and we can revisit it each month.

Eagles: Thank you. Yeah, that sounds great. Thanks, Hannah. Yes, so we are making this a permanent Tuesday. Think we have some good ideas here. We just need to refine them a bit, and we'll keep working on prioritizing any other thoughts, will close out this item.

8. Reports and Announcements from Councilmembers and Ad Hoc

Receive

Eagles: Item 8 is any reports and announcements from council members and ad hocs. And just a reminder that this is really not a discussion or deliberation. They're not agenda items. It's only in for informational purposes. Anyone have anything to report out on, or any of our ad hocs? One of our ad hocs is not here tonight, but if anyone else has anything.

Dawson: I think transportation doesn't have anything.

Eagles: Anyone in the public. Anyone of our attendees have anything to announce in this section?

Whitman: I don't see any hands.

Eagles: Okay, well, that is our last agenda item.

9. Adjourn

Resolution

I guess all we need now is a motion to adjourn.

First: Nardo Morgan

Second: Dawson

4-0

Eagles: Good night, everyone. I guess I'll sign off, thanks everyone, thank you Supervisor Gorin.

Meeting Adjourned: 7:25pm

COMMITMENT TO CIVILITY: The North Sonoma Valley Municipal Advisory Council has adopted rules of procedures which include a commitment to civility. To assure civility in its public meetings, the public is encouraged to engage in respectful dialog that supports freedom of speech and values diversity of opinion. Councilmembers, staff, and members of the public are expected to establish and maintain a cordial and respectful atmosphere during discussions; and foster meaningful dialogue free of personal attacks. Members of the public must also adhere to the speaking time limit.

Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the North Valley Municipal Advisory Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the Board of Supervisors' Office located at 575 Administration Drive, Room 100-A, Santa Rosa, CA, during normal business hours.

Note: Consideration of agenda items will proceed as follows:

1. Presentation
2. Questions by Councilmembers
3. Questions and comments from the public
4. Response by presenter, if required
5. Comments by Councilmembers
6. Resolution, if indicated

Web Links: <https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/North-Valley-Municipal-Advisory-Council/>