• ea-health-doctor-family-750

Health Care Benefits

Protect your and your family’s health

Access to health care can help you live a better and longer life. Health insurance helps cover the costs of doctor and hospital visits, medication and treatment if you are injured or sick. How much of your medical costs are paid for depends on which health care benefit program you are eligible for. 

There are three types of health care benefits you can apply for in Sonoma County: Medi-Cal, the County Medical Services Program and Covered California.

Clients and staff must wear masks or face coverings, and maintain six-feet of social distancing.

Economic Assistance hours at both 2550 Paulin Drive, Santa Rosa, and South County Center, 5350 Old Redwood Highway, Suite 100, Petaluma are 8 a.m.- 4p.m., Monday-Friday.

Read the questions and answers about how public benefits are affected on the Human Services Department home page first. For additional information, please email info@schsd.org or call (707) 565-5800. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work together to keep our communities safe.

You can continue to access services by phone and online:



  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits
  • Submit Reports & Documents


  • Apply for Medi-Cal


  • Apply for CalFresh


Service Center 1-877-699-6868

  • Report Changes
  • Request Replacement EBT Card
  • General Assistance Questions

Fax 707-565-2929

  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits

Mail/Office Drop Box

  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits
  • Submit Reports & Documents

Health Care FAQs

Most questions about Medi-Cal and Covered California can be answered at the Department of Health Services website. Below are some common questions asked by Sonoma County residents.

I now have health insurance through my job. How do I cancel my Medi-Cal or CMSP benefits?

Call (877) 699-6868 or visit Economic Assistance, 520 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa.

You can also mail in a signed request:
County of Sonoma Human Services Department
Economic Assistance Division
PO Box 1539, Santa Rosa, CA 95402

How do I report a change in my income or my home address to Medi-Cal or CMSP?

Report in one of these ways:

How do I replace a lost, damaged or stolen Medi-Cal or CMSP card?

Report the lost, stolen or damaged card as soon you can:

  • Onlinewww.mybenefitscalwin.org
  • By phone: (877) 699-6868. You’ll be sent a free replacement card within three working days.
  • In-Person:Your card will be replaced immediately at your visit to:
    Economic Assistance, 2550 Paulin Drive or 520 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, OR
    Human Services South County Center5350 Old Redwood Highway, Suite 100, Petaluma

What do I do if my Medi-Cal card isn’t valid, active or working?

Call: Economic Assistance at (877) 699-6868.

How do I find a doctor that accepts Medi-Cal or CMSP?

How do I find a dentist who accepts Medi-Cal?

Check with the Denti-Cal program at (800) 322-6384 or visit denti-cal.gov.

How do I transfer my Medi-Cal benefits to or from another county?

Contact Economic Assistance, or the county you are moving to or from, and ask for an inter-county transfer. You shouldn’t need to reapply in your new county.

Does being pregnant change my eligibility for Medi-Cal?

Medi-Cal allows immediate, temporary coverage for prenatal care and prescriptions related to pregnancy, even before the application is complete. Only some medical care providers accept this type of Medi-Cal.

What Covered California insurance plans can I get in Sonoma County?

Companies that offer health plans vary by region. In 2018 in Sonoma County, these companies offer health plans:

  • Blue Shield
  • Health Net Life
  • Kaiser Permanente
  • Western Health Advantage

Contact Information

Economic Assistance
Human Services Department

In-person Lobby Hours

Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Phone Hours
Monday – Friday
9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
(Due to volume of calls, wait times may be extended)

Contact us by Phone

Santa Rosa

2550 Paulin Drive

Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.465026, -122.721484
Petaluma Office
5350 Old Redwood Highway

Suite 100

Petaluma, CA 94954
38.278495, -122.668033

Drop off paperwork at any office or mail to:

Economic Assistance

P.O. Box 1539

Santa Rosa, CA 95402