• basket food milk CalFresh

Apply For CalFresh

Apply to CalFresh online, by phone, Fax, postal mail or in-person. If you cannot answer all the questions, you can submit an incomplete application with your name, address and signature, then work with our staff to complete the information.

You'll need to be ready to answer questions about:

  • The number of people in your home
  • The money you get from a job or other places
  • Your housing costs, including rent, mortgage and utilities
  • Some of the things you own
  • A few other bills

You will also need to show some documents. For a list, visit What You Need to Apply.

Economic Assistance Lobby is Closed --
Use Other Options to Apply

The County of Sonoma has transitioned to a temporary and precautionary suspension of non-essential operations until April 3, 2020, in an effort to protect employees and the community by limiting person-to-person contact to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

While most of the Human Services’ offices are temporarily closed, we will continue to provide essential services, including emergency services for child welfare, adult protective services, IHSS, CalWORKs, Medi-Cal, CalFresh, and General Assistance. 

For additional information, please email info@schsd.org or call 707-565-5800. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work together to keep our communities safe.

For Medi-Cal, CalFresh and General Assistance services while the Economic Assistance Lobby is closed, access services through these options:



  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits
  • Submit Reports & Documents


  • Apply for Medi-Cal


  • Apply for CalFresh


Service Center 1-877-699-6868

  • Report Changes
  • Request Replacement EBT Card
  • General Assistance Questions

Fax <a>707-565-2929

  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits

Mail/Office Drop Box

  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits
  • Submit Reports & Documents

Apply Online

  • CalFresh only: getcalfresh.org in English and Spanish. You can fill out the application online, then we’ll call you for an interview.
  • CalFresh and Medi-Cal: mybenefitscalwin.org in English and Spanish. Many people are eligible for both benefit programs. By applying at this website, you can find out. We’ll call you later for an in-person interview.

By Phone

In Person

Apply by Fax or Postal Mail

Fax: (707) 565-3578

Mail: P.O. Box 1539, Santa Rosa, CA 95402

If You Need Food Right Away

You may be able to get CalFresh benefits within three days depending on your income.

To meet your food needs now, contact the groups listed on the Other Local Food Programs page.

Contact Information

Economic Assistance
Human Services Department

In-person Lobby Hours

Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Phone Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. 
(Wait times can be up to two hours)


Santa Rosa

2550 Paulin Drive

Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.465026, -122.721484
Petaluma Office
5350 Old Redwood Highway

Suite 100

Petaluma, CA 94954
38.278495, -122.668033

Drop off paperwork at any office or mail to:

Economic Assistance

P.O. Box 1539

Santa Rosa, CA 95402