• food farmers market box

Food & Nutrition Benefits

CalFresh stretches your food budget

CalFresh Logo

CalFresh gives you monthly benefits on an ATM-style plastic card, called an Electronic Benefit Transfer or EBT card, that you can use to purchase food.

calfresh ebt cardThe CalFresh card can be used instead of money for food at grocery stores and many local farmers markets. The benefits help you afford to buy the groceries you need to be healthy.

Known as CalFresh in California, this food and nutrition program is part of a federal government program, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

Food Spoiled by Outage? Find Immediate Meals or CalFresh Benefit Replacement

CalFresh and Redwood Empire Food Bank logosIf you need food immediately

Redwood Empire Food Bank (REFB) has emergency food boxes (including free bread and produce) for anyone in need. Visit one of the many distribution sites on the website: REFB Food Distribution sites listREFB is at 3990 Brickway Blvd., Santa Rosa, (707) 523-7900.  

    You may be eligible for replacement CalFresh benefits

    If you purchased food with CalFresh that spoiled because your power was out, apply for replacement benefits within 10 days of the loss. Funds will be added upon approval and can take up to two working days.

    How to apply:

    • Visit: Economic Assistance, 2550 Paulin Dr., Santa Rosa, or the Human Services South County Center, 5350 Old Redwood Highway North, Suite 100, Petaluma.
    • Phone: the Call Center, (877) 699-6868
    • Mail: Economic Assistance, P.O. Box 1539, Santa Rosa, CA 95402
    • Fax: Economic Assistance, (707) 565-5252

    Free Food and Fresh Produce
    Comida y Productos Frescos Gratis

    Redwood Empire Food Bank and Economic Assistance offer free Groceries to Go for families and individuals needing food assistance. Find fresh produce, bread and more.
    Where:  Economic Assistance, 2550 Paulin Ave., Santa Rosa Google Maps™ Directions
    When:  9–11 a.m. on the 2nd Thursday of every month. Bring your own bags and carts. 
    Upcoming Dates: Nov. 14, Dec. 12, Jan. 9, Feb. 13, March 12 and April 9
    For information, call Food Connections Office, (707) 523-7903

    El Redwood Empire Food Bank and Economic Assistance ofrecen Groceries to Go gratuitos para familias y personas que necesitan asistencia alimentaria. Encuentra productos frescos, pan y más.
    Adonde: Assistencia Economica, 2550 Paulin Ave., Santa Rosa Google Maps™ Directions
    Cuando: 9–11 a.m. el 2do jueves de cada mes. Traiga bolsas y carritos.
    Próximas fechas: 14 de noviembre,12 de dicés, 9 de enero, 13 de febrero, 12 de marzo y 9 de abril 
    Para más informacion, llame a la Food Connections Office, (707) 523-7903

    Who May Be Eligible?

    • All U.S. citizens who are residents of Sonoma County who meet the guidelines.
    • Children born in the United States, regardless of where the parents were born. 
    • Immigrants who are legal permanent residents, victims of trafficking, U-visa applicants and holders and others may be eligible.
    • Residents who receive SSI or SSP.
    • Students and people who meet the other CalFresh guidelines (in English and Spanish). 

    For details about eligibility and income rules in English and Español, you may want to visit the California Department of Social Services website.

    Current CalFresh Clients

    Even if you've had CalFresh for a while, benefits and rules can change. It's important that you keep in touch with us, and check this site for new information. 

    • Visit Renew Your Benefits to learn how to keep your CalFresh benefits ongoing or make changes to your home address or income.
    • Visit Use Your Benefits for a list of what you can buy with CalFresh, and how and where to use your benefits. 
    • Check CalFresh Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for answers about your benefits. Here are two FAQs that many clients ask:

    How do I check my CalFresh Card balance amount?

    Using your card number, check online at mybenefitscalwin.org or call (877) 328-9677.

    How do I replace a damaged, lost or stolen CalFresh Card?

    Using your card number, check online at mybenefitscalwin.org or call (877) 328-9677.

    Contact Information

    Economic Assistance
    Human Services Department
    Business Hours
    Monday – Friday
    8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

    Santa Rosa

    2550 Paulin Drive

    Santa Rosa, CA 95403
    38.465026, -122.721484
    Petaluma Office
    5350 Old Redwood Highway

    Suite 100

    Petaluma, CA 94954
    38.278495, -122.668033

    Drop off paperwork at any office or mail to:

    Economic Assistance

    P.O. Box 1539

    Santa Rosa, CA 95402

    Apply for CalFresh

    Apply Online
    In English and Spanish

    Apply by Phone
    Dial 2-1-1 from any phone

    Apply in Person
    Visit our the Economic Assistance office 8 AM - 5 PM

    Healthy Eating Guides

    SNAP: Eat Right

    food farmers market box

    Learn about healthy food for every body

    Senior Resource Guide

    In English and Spanish

    Older Couple thumbnail

    Find home meal delivery, meals at sites countywide and more helpful programs