Step 1: Complete An Application
Request or print an application. To be considered for the Registry, you must complete all the information. Then submit it to the IHSS PA office.
Step 2: Come for an Interview and Orientation
If your Registry application is accepted and your references have been checked, we’ll invite you to meet with us. We’ll talk about your work history and the skills, training and personal qualities that make you a good care provider.
Step 3: Attend Orientation
At the mandatory orientation training, you’ll learn about:
- IHSS services and support,
- IHSS Public Authority and what we do,
- Registry policies and procedures,
- Options for training and education,
- Medical and dental benefits and
- Union membership.
If you’re new to IHSS, you must complete the State enrollment requirements in order to be on the payroll to be paid for your work.
Step 4: Criminal Background Checks
- For new providers, we also complete a criminal background check. You need to be fingerprinted.
- Current IHSS care provider applying to the Registry do not need to complete additional fingerprinting.
Step 5: Acceptance to the Registry
Once you are approved, we'll send you a letter verifying your acceptance to the Registry. We can then supply your name and contact information to IHSS clients who want to hire a Registry caregiver.