First District: Howard Sapper (Officer at Large), Maria Barakat, Will Shonbrun
Second District: Elizabeth Escalante, Isai Garcia
Third District: Katrina Phillips (Vice Chair)
Fourth District: Paulina Lopez, Lannie Medina, Rosa Reynoza
Fifth District: Jerry Threet (Chair), Lyndsey Burcina, Mickale Jones
Staff: Tracy Cunha, Deputy Clerk
The February 23, 2021 Commission on Human Rights Meeting will be facilitated virtually through Zoom.
Participate by computer, tablet, or smartphone application:
Go to: https://sonomacounty.zoom.us/j/96087590803?pwd=L2craVYrVUZCWk4xOURvKzFQUkQ5dz09
Participate by phone:
Dial +1 (669) 900 9128
Webinar ID: 960 8759 0803
CALL TO ORDER – MISSION STATEMENT – INTRODUCTIONS – Threet (5 Min)
APPROVAL OF THE JANUARY 26, 2021 AGENDA – Threet (5 Min)
- Due to Brown Act requirements, only changing the order of, or deletion of items may be allowed. New items may not be added unless imperative for emergency circumstances.
OPENINGS & APPOINTMENTS – Threet (10 Min)
- Oath of Office – Iliana Madrigal, Representing Second District Supervisor David Rabbitt
- Openings – Two in the Third District
- Welcome new Commissioners & self-introductions
PUBLIC COMMENT ON NON-AGENDIZED ITEMS – Threet (10 Min)
- Public comment is limited to two minutes per topic.
DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION TO FOLLOW ON ITEMS BELOW:
(Times are provided for informational purposes only)
- CHR Strategic Planning Discussion – Threet (60 Min)
Discussion to decide on the focus of CHR for the coming year. Commissioners are asked to select at least one human rights topic/focus/project on which to work, whether in collaboration with other commissioners or members of the community. This focus should be a subject of periodic reporting back to the commission during public meetings.
- Working Groups?
- Standing Committees?
- Regular check-ins with Supervisors
- Community Service Spotlight – Threet/Guest Speaker (20 Min)
Monthly featured guest to present on their service contributions to the community. This month's featured guest is D'mitra Smith of Save Our VI and Comida Para Todos.
- Resolution honoring D’mitra Smith, Save Our VI and Comida Para Todos
- Resolution honoring Heather Jackson and SoCo Acts of Kindness
- Possible CHR Endorsement of SB 271 by Weiner - Threet (5 Min)
Possible action on resolution in support of restoring California’s long-standing eligibility requirements for Sheriffs candidates.
- Possible CHR Endorsement of AB 655 by Kalra California Law Enforcement Accountability Reform Act – Threet (5 Min)
Possible action on resolution in support of hearings by all local legislative bodies on the actions of local law enforcement during policing Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests in May and June, 2020.
- Redevelopment of Sonoma Development Center - Sapper (10 Min)
Possible action on resolution/letter addressing issues of equity and social justice related to proposals to redevelop the SDC.
- ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEMS FOR NEXT COMMISSION MEETING – Threet