Infant and Children's Health
Health is about more than not being sick. Kids thrive when they have regular healthcare and dental care, good school programs, excellent childcare, healthy food and healthy activities.
Sonoma County wants to help all families in our community improve their health and well-being no matter what race, ethnicity, sex or gender identity, or socio-economic status. All residents are welcome and safe to use family services regardless of immigration status.
Birth certificate, check. Medi-Cal, check. Kisses, check.
Sonoma County is a breastfeeding friendly community.
Childhood immunizations protect kids from many dangerous diseases.
Kids should have their first dental visit around 6 months of age, and every 6 months after that!
Lower Stress (yours and the kids) by getting outside and getting active!
Find licensed childcare providers for kids of any age.
For home visiting programs supporting Early Childhood Education see our Home Visiting Resources
Kids spend about 1,000 hours a year in school!
Even kids sometimes struggle with sadness, loss, and troubling thoughts. Support is available for kids.
Kids receive regular developmental assessments at their doctor well child visits.
Safest sleep means baby is on her back, on her own sleep surface, with a firm mattress and no bedding or toys that could accidentally cover her face or block her ability to breathe.
- You can learn more about Safe Sleep for babies here
- Sonoma County offers support for families who have suffered the loss of a child during pregnancy, in infancy, and beyond. Please see our website or call us at (800) 427-8982.
- Injuries are the leading cause of death in children ages 19 and younger. But most child injuries can be prevented. Parents and caregivers can play a life-saving role in protecting children from injuries. Learn more about child safety at the CDC Child Safety website.
- Sonoma County MCAH partners with the Community Child Care Council of Sonoma County (4Cs) to provide free car seats to low income families who cannot otherwise afford a car seat. Our goal is to reduce the number of injuries from motor vehicle crashes by increasing the correct usage of car seats. Learn how to install your child’s car seat correctly and receive the most current safety information.
To schedule an appointment please call one of our bilingual schedulers: Maria Lopez 707-522-1413 x 151 or Sandra Lemus 707-522-1413 X133
Children and Youth with Special Healthcare Needs
California serves families of children and youth who have one or more chronic physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional conditions to ensure optimal health and quality of life for all children and their families.
- California Children’s Services is a state program for children and youth with special healthcare needs. This program will connect you with doctors and trained health care people.
- North Bay Regional Center provides early intervention support for infants and toddlers with disabilities, and children’s services for kids over 3 years.
- Matrix supports families of children with special needs through a parent network and a resource center.
Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP)
CHDP can provide your family with assistance for medical appointment scheduling, transportation and access to treatment services. This program is free to all children covered under Medi-Cal