Update September 6, 2019: Blue-green Algae Caution Signs Posted at Spring Lake in Santa Rosa

Published:  September 6, 2019

This afternoon signs were posted at Spring Lake park in the City of Santa Rosa to warn the public of any blue-green algae (BGA) that may be present in the lake.  DHS Environmental Health, in conjunction with the Sonoma County Parks Department will be collecting samples to be tested today to determine if harmful algae blooms are present in Spring Lake. The North Coast Regional Water Quality Control will also be conducting visual inspections this weekend and process the samples taken today. 

Spring Lake is always posted as no swimming/no dogs allowed.  The cautionary signs will include the following additional information in English and Spanish:

  • Harmful algae may be present in these waters.  Children and pets are at the greatest risk.
  • Stay away from algae in the water
  • Keep children away from algae
  • Do not drink water
  • Do not let pets drink water
  • For fish caught, throw away guts and clean with bottled water before cooking
  • Rinse off thoroughly after having contact with the water

Additionally, the City of Santa Rosa has also closed Lake Ralphine in Howarth Park due to suspicion of BGA.  DHS Environmental Health and the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board are reaching out to the City of Santa Rosa Recreation and Parks Department to offer coordinated assistance with signage and sampling. 

Contact Information

Public Health Division
County of Sonoma
Business Hours
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Office Location
625 5th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
38.441823, -122.7137698

Current Fee Schedule

See Fee Schedule

Dollar sign green

Fees for Fiscal Year 2019-20 for all Environmental Health programs

Food Safety During Power Shutdown

Download Flyer in PDF format

Food Safety

Food Safety During Power Shutdown for Retail Food Facilities

Report a Complaint, Hazard or Nuisance

Sonoma County Cannabis Permits and Inspections

Learn More

Sonoma County Cannabis Program

Permits and inspections for cannabis dispensaries and edible product manufacturing.

Public Records Requests

Public Records Requests
Most Environmental Health records are available electronically and you may search our database via the Public Access Viewer.