If You've Found a Pet
If you find a pet and plan to keep it at your home during its hold time, please do the following:
- Contact the appropriate agency from the list below, according to where the animal was found. Per county ordinance, this must be done within twenty-four (24) hours of finding the pet.
- Take the animal to a veterinarian to have it scanned for a microchip.
- Keep the animal secure and safe in your home while searching for the owner.
- Return the animal to its rightful owner if one comes forward. Animals are considered personal property and it is illegal to keep an animal from its owner.
- Hold onto the animal for two weeks (14 days) before claiming ownership or giving away the animal.
- If the animal is sick or injured, please take it to the closest animal shelter or emergency facility.
If you cannot keep the pet, please contact the appropriate agency from the list below, according to where the animal was found. Before going to the location, call ahead for instructions on how to relinquish the animal.
Animal Shelters in Sonoma County