Each eligible full- and part-time employee may elect to purchase up to forty (40) hours of vacation leave each calendar year during his/her first five (5) years of permanent, probationary, or unclassified employment in a regularly allocated position. Vacation purchased shall not exceed two hundred (200) hours. Eligibility will start from the employee’s first in-service hour with the County of Sonoma. Eligibility will end upon completion of 10,435 in-service hours. Each eligible employee must submit a signed vacation purchase plan agreement to his/her Payroll Clerk. Upon receipt the employee’s future bi-weekly salary will be reduced by a minimum of two (2) hour increments until the purchase plan agreement has been fulfilled. Purchased vacation will be posted to the employees leave balance upon purchase and will be available to the employee the pay period following purchase. All purchases of vacation must be completed prior to the end of the calendar year in which the employee reaches the in-service hours of 10,435. The additional vacation purchased is subject to the following guidelines:
- Purchased vacation must be taken before accrued vacation in Section 21.
- Purchased vacation is subject to the maximum accumulation limits and usage in Section 21.3.
- Purchased vacation is subject to the same provisions in Section 21.5.
- Purchased vacation hours when taken as time off will not be included in paid status hours for purposes of shift pay and premium pay.
- Vacation Purchased will be paid off at the employee’s base hourly rate at the time of termination.
Part-time employees will be eligible to purchase vacation time on a pro-rata basis.
Back to top