The County of Sonoma ("County") and the Sonoma County Law Enforcement Association ("SCLEA"), parties hereto, have met and conferred and agreed to a mutually satisfactory replacement for Article 35 (Association Security) of the Memorandum of Understanding between the parties.
- Upon execution of this Side Letter of Agreement, Article 35 (Association Security) of the Memorandum of Understanding will be replaced in its entirety with the following:
ARTICLE 35 - ASSOCIATION DUES AND PAYROLL DEDUCTIONS
35.1 Payroll Deductions and Written Authorization
The County agrees to deduct the periodic payroll deductions from the paycheck of each employee who the Association certifies as authorizing the deduction. All sums deducted by the County will be remitted to the Association in an expedient manner at the intervals requested by the Association, together with the names of each employee for whom a deduction was made.
The County will implement any change to an employee's payroll deductions in the first full pay period following notification of such change by the Association.
If an employee member in the bargaining unit desires to revoke, cancel or change prior dues deduction authorization, he/she will direct that request to the Association. Any such dues deduction revocation, cancellation and/or change will be effectuated by the County only after the Association provides the County with written direction for such revocation, cancellation and/or change.
The Association will indemnify and hold the County harmless for any claims and/or damages arising from claims by employees resulting from such deductions.
35.2 Certification of Association Membership
All employees in the bargaining unit represented by the Association may voluntarily join the Association and pay dues, initiation fees and general assessments, as well as payment of any other Association membership benefit program sponsored by the Association (hereafter referred to as "payroll deduction ") as determined by the Association. It is the responsibility of the Association to maintain a record of employees who have given their written consent to join and pay dues to the Association. The Association will certify to the County the names of employees who have given their written consent and the amount of such payroll deductions to be deducted.
35.3 Separation From Unit Exception
The provisions of Sections 35.1 and 35.2 shall not apply during periods of separation from the eligible bargaining unit by any employee otherwise subject to those provisions but shall reapply to such employee following the return of the employee to the bargaining unit. The term "separation" includes layoffs, transfer out of the covered bargaining units by request, promotion, demotion, reclassification or for any other lawful reason, and unpaid status, all of a duration of more than one (1) full pay period.
35.4 Notice of New Employees
- To the extent the information is available, the County shall provide the Association with the names, addresses, personal email addresses and telephone numbers of all new employees coming into the relevant bargaining units during each subsequent pay period.
- The names and addresses provided the Association shall be kept confidential.
The Union shall comply with all statutory and legal requirements with respect to this article.
- The parties hereby acknowledge and agree that this Side Letter of Agreement does not create a precedent or establish any practice. This agreement shall not be introduced, referred to, or in any other way utilized in any subsequent grievance, arbitration, litigation or administrative hearing except as may be necessary to enforce its provisions and its terms.
- This agreement sets forth the full and entire understanding of the parties regarding the matters set forth herein. Any other prior or existing understanding or agreements by the parties whether formal or informal regarding such matters are hereby superseded or terminated in their entirety.
- Except as specifically provided herein it is agreed and understood that the Association voluntarily and unqualifiedly waives its right to and releases the County from any obligation to meet and confer on any subject or matter contained herein.
- No agreement, understanding, variation waiver or modification of any term or provision contained herein shall in any manner be binding upon the parties hereto unless made and executed in writing by the parties hereto and, if required approved and implemented but the Board of Supervisors of the County of Sonoma.
- Nothing in this Agreement shall be construed to limit remove, expand or in any way alter the existing or future jurisdiction or authority of the Civil Service Commission as provided in Sonoma County Ordinance No. 305-A as amended or as provided in the rules adopted in accordance with said ordinance.
- The waiver of any breach, term or condition of this Letter of Agreement by either party shall not constitute a precedent in the future enforcement of all its terms and provisions.
FOR THE COUNTY:
Employee & Labor Relations
County of Sonoma Human Resources
Article 35 Side Letter Agreement (PDF: 1.2 MB)