Schools of Hope - Program Procedure
This procedure aims to provide employees with the information necessary for participation in the program.
All County employees who meet the below requirements may be eligible to participate with approval from their supervisor/manager:
- Ability to commit to a weekly 30-minute tutoring session, during school hours for a full school year.
- Ability to travel to and from a participating school.
- Willingness to sign United Way’s insurance waiver and volunteer agreement.
- Willingness to undergo a background check, which includes fingerprinting and screening for tuberculosis.
- Ability to attend a general program orientation and site training at a specific school.
Participating County employees make a one-year commitment to donate a weekly 30-minute tutoring session (plus travel time) to mentor first and second grade students, in participating schools, in literacy and reading skills. Participation as a tutor in this program, with supervisor/manager approval, is considered part of the employee’s work time when tutoring during their regular work schedule. Tutoring occurs during the school year (October through May), with breaks during school closures or for special school events. It is estimated that total tutoring commitment averages approximately 30 hours per school year.
Employees discuss their interest in the program with their supervisor or manager. If the employee receives approval from their supervisor or manager to participate, the below enrollment steps should be followed:
- Complete the Participation Form (PDF: 135 kB)
- Have your manager or supervisor sign the form as approved and forward to Sylvia Lemus at the County Human Resources Department: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Employee will receive instructions to register through the online Schools of Hope volunteer program, where they will select their orientation date and time.
- Attend the orientation at Human Resources, which will include the background and tuberculosis screening.
- Review the County Vehicle Use Policy
- Receive information on next steps including selecting a school (date/times) and attending the school orientation.
If an employee is unable to participate in the County Schools of Hope program during work time, this does not preclude the employee from becoming a volunteer on their own time by signing up as a Schools of Hope tutor through the United Way of the Wine Country.
575 Administration Drive
Room 116 B
United Way of the Wine Country