Energy and Sustainability for Residents
Upfront costs are a major barrier to implementing energy efficiency, water conservation and renewable energy projects like solar. The Energy and Sustainability Division offers financing for residential properties located in Sonoma County through the Sonoma County Energy Independence Office (SCEIP).
SCEIP financing pays for up to 100% of the project’s costs at a fixed interest rate and is repaid over a 10 or 20-year term as an assessment on your property tax bill. With no money down and an easy qualification process, SCEIP offers a simple way to finance energy efficiency, renewable energy and water conservation upgrades.
Our office will help you determine and compare the financing options available that best meet your needs.
Rebates and Incentives
Energy efficiency improvements not only help you save energy and money but also enhance comfort and indoor air quality, making your home a healthier and more livable environment for your family. Even simple improvements can make a big difference:
- Sealing leaky ducts,
- Adding insulation,
- Installing an efficient heating, ventilation, or air conditioning system.
Many rebates and incentives must be pre-approved prior to starting work. Contact our office before you begin your project to learn more.
Consultations and Project Planning
Whether you are just beginning to research going solar or are trying to decide among contractor bids, our free, unbiased consultations can help ensure that all of your questions are answered.
Homeowners are encouraged to take advantage of this free service to gain peace of mind while navigating this, at times, confusing process.
Our office can help you better understand the results of your home energy audit and assist you with prioritizing improvements and planning your projects, free of charge,
Home Energy Audits
A home energy audit is often the first step in making your home more efficient. An audit can help you assess:
- How much energy your home uses
- Evaluate what measures you can take to improve efficiency,
- Address indoor air quality and circulation issues which can affect recurring health problems such as asthma or headaches, comfort, and building durability.
- Create a project plan for improvements.
To find a rater and to schedule a Home Energy Score Audit, visit https://www.bayren.org/hes.
Green House Call from Rising Sun Center for Opportunity
Looking to make your home more sustainable and save money? When you sign up for a Green House Call by completing a 10-minute online survey, an energy and water efficiency kit with installation instructions will be delivered directly to your door. The best part? It won't cost you anything.
What's in the box?
- Up to 16 LED light bulbs, standard and floodlight
- A smart power strip ($50 value)
- High-efficiency showerhead(s), same pressure, less water usage
- Toilet leak detection tablets
- Information on other energy-saving and green options
Green House Calls have no income qualifications and are available to renters and homeowners of single-family homes and 2-4 plex units. Take the survey online or by phone at (510) 665-1501 ext 300 with a trained staff member. For more information visit, https://risingsunopp.org/programs/ghc/
Property owners and renters in Sonoma County are invited to attend free workshops to learn about:
- Energy and water saving at home,
- Adding solar panels to generate your own electricity,
- Financing options,
- Where and how to start your project.