Benefits of Sustainability
Sustainability is defined as meeting existing needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. When thinking about implementing improvements to our homes and buildings there are many benefits of sustainability that we experience as a result.
The Energy and Sustainability office can assist you in assessing your situation and help with developing a plan to make improvements.
At Home or Work
- Economic Benefits: Durable materials last a long time — not only are they sustainable, but they save the cost of replacement and regular maintenance which also provide long-term savings. Sustainable buildings utilize less energy, resulting in cheaper utility bills.
- Environmental Impacts: The natural environment is positively impacted. Using renewable and clean energy sources lessens our reliance on fossil fuels and other depleting sources. The construction process of a traditional buildings alone emits much construction waste. Recyclability of materials therefore lessens negative emission on environment.
- Health: Sustainable buildings take advantage of non-toxic materials. During construction, less toxic waste is emitted into the air. Over 90 percent of greenhouse gas emissions are derived from fossil fuel combustion! Such combustion produces other air pollutants as well.
Healthy and Comfortable Homes and Buildings
Though often taken for granted, healthy and comfortable indoor environments are in the interest of everyone. Energy efficiency upgrades to building envelopes and heating systems can improve indoor environmental conditions and create healthier living and working conditions. Studies have shown that upgrades directly result in more consistent temperatures, fewer indoor air pollutants resulting in an improvement of affected health conditions such as asthma or headaches.
Energy Independence or Net Zero
There are both environmental and financial benefits for installing renewable energy like solar for your home or business.
- No emissions
- Reduce your carbon footprint
- Stabilizes energy costs over time
- Adds value to your property
- Reduces your electric bill
- Leverages financial incentives and tax credits
Receive Recognition as a Certified Green Business
Established in 1996, the California Green Business Program is a network of local programs run by cities and counties throughout California, allied in promoting a green economy through partnerships with small to medium size businesses.
Businesses receive advice and technical assistance from the Green Business Program coordinators and their public agency during the certification process. Many businesses discover financial benefits from improving their water and energy efficiency.
Furthermore, Certified Green Businesses receive marketing benefits, including a Green Business logo to place in your window and on your website, a listing on the Green Business online directory, and promotional events and media coverage get your business recognized.