At 8:00 PM declare polls closed. If necessary, place a clerk at end of line of voters. Allow everyone who is in line at 8:00 PM to vote; anyone who arrives after 8:00 PM shall not be allowed to vote.
Remove all materials posted inside and outside Polling Place. Return posters to Supplies for Posting folder. Don’t forget to collect all modification supplies (TIP: review list in white “Compliance Plan” envelope).
Find the Supplies for Closing folder. Remove contents and spread onto table.
Count and pack unused ballots; you must complete steps 1-7 before opening VBM or Precinct Ballot Boxes.
- Record beginning and ending serial numbers of all unused ballots (by party in Primary election) on Unused Ballot Container Seal; sign Seal.
- Determine the number of unused ballots (use “Ballot Statement Worksheet”); record number on Line 2 of Ballot Statement
- Count number of spoiled and canceled ballots in Spoiled/Canceled Ballot bag with yellow label; record number on front of bag and on Line 3 of Ballot Statement.
- Count number of surrendered Vote by Mail ballots in Spoiled/Canceled Ballot bag with yellow label; record number on front of envelope but no on Ballot Statement.
- Place spoiled, canceled, and surrendered Vote by Mail ballots back into Spoiled/Canceled Ballot bag with yellow label and seal envelope.
- Place Spoiled/Canceled bag and all unused ballots and any stubs from issued ballots into Unused Ballot Container. Close lid.
- Insert maroon locks through holes at each end of lid; lock each of the maroon locks.
- Sign, then place Unused Ballot Container Seal across opening on lid.
Count and pack ballots in (metal) VBM Ballot Box. Open VBM Ballot Box by breaking lock.
- Count voted blue Vote by Mail ballot envelopes. Record number on blue label of large VBM ballot plastic bag and Line 10 of Ballot Statement. If none, write “0.” Place Vote by Mail ballots into large plastic bag with blue label; seal.
- if you receive “out-of-county” ballots, include them in the count of vote by mail ballots.
- if voters return purple or orange letters, place them inside VBM bag before sealing (count not needed)
Count and pack ballots in Precinct Ballot Box. Open Precinct Ballot Box by breaking lock. Empty contents; separate precinct ballots from pink envelopes.
- Count voted pink Provisional ballot envelopes.Record number on pink label of large plastic Provisional ballot bag and Line 4 of Ballot Statement. If none, write “0.” Place Provisional ballots into large plastic bag with pink label; seal.
- Count voted ballots.Record number on Line 5 of a Ballot Statement, Line 2 of Certificate of Packaging and Sealing, and white label on top of “A box.” Also, record number in long hand and numerals on Certificate of Completion (back cover of Combined Roster).
Record number of voters who signed Combined Roster on Line 7 of Ballot Statement. Record number of voter who signed Curbside Roster on line 8; if none, write “0.” Add lines 7, 8; write Total number of signatures on Line 9 of Combined Roster, and Line 3 of Certificate of Packaging & Sealing.
Complete “Close Polls” section of ICX Security Log. Follow ICX GUIDE for the ICX Close Polls procedures, and to properly pack up equipment (see gray binder).
Complete Ballot Statement (may use “Ballot Statement Worksheet”). If totals do not match, count again. If they still do not match, Stop, write explanation at bottom of Ballot Statement and continue with Close Polls procedures.
Sign Certificate of Completion (back cover of Combined Roster). Confirm all declarations, oaths, certificates have been completed and signed
Place following items in Roster-Index bag with white label and check off on label:
- Combined Roster
- Roster for Curbside Voting
- Precinct – Street Index (both copies)
- Street Address Update List
- Completed voter registration cards (if any)
Stack voted ballots so all are going in same direction, being careful not to fold or crease ballots. Place ballots into “A Box.
Complete Certificate of Packaging & Sealing. Get plastic lock (from blue supply pouch) and write serial number onto Certificate Line 1. Set lock aside (with “A Box”).
- Place yellow copy on top of ballots inside “A Box.”
- Fold white copy and place in small postage-paid white envelope addressed to ROV Office.
Complete and sign an “A Box” Seal for each “A Box.” (white paper seal with spaces for signatures)
- If you have 1 “A Box,” place seal across open edge(s) of box so that it is not possible to open box without removing or cutting seal. Do not cover the number of ballots enclosed, written on label. Do not enclose “A Box” in another container.
- If you have 2 “A Boxes,” seal each box as explained above (even if one is empty), then tape boxes together using tape provided. Do not put “A Boxes” in any another container.
Disassemble regular voting booths. See “Booth Assembly Instructions” (in gray binder).
- Place legs under elastic straps inside lid of booth.
- Label booth handle with note if damaged or defective (e.g. broken light).
- Set aside all leg extenders from wheelchair-accessible voting booth.
Pack Ziploc supply bag with the following:
- Poly sleeve signs (from outside)
- Magnifying sheet
- Styrofoam ball
Pack list of Vote by Mail Voters and miscellaneous supplies that were removed from Election Supplies Box back into box
Pack charger for cell phone into clear transport pouch. Keep cell phone and clear pouch with you; do not turn off phone or place in pouch until you reach assigned Return Center.
Place following items into (metal) VBM Ballot Box:
- Election Supplies Box
- Gray binder
- Roster-Index Bag with white label
- Vote by Mail Bag with blue label
- Provisional Bag with pink label
- Ziploc supply bag
- Voting booth leg extenders from wheelchair-accessible voting booth
- Empty Secrecy Covers.
Lock (metal) VBM Ballot Box with plastic lock you set aside earlier (from blue supply pouch).