Our Indoor Wedding Room
Our Outdoor Wedding Garden Room
To reduce the number of people visiting our office, Sonoma County is utilizing the Governor’s Executive Order N-58-20/N-71-20 to issue Marriage Licenses and Civil Ceremonies by Videoconference on ZOOM.
To schedule an appointment for a marriage license and civil ceremony, complete the Online Application for Marriage License and follow the instructions at Checkout.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The staff of the Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office are forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.
Who Can Perform Marriages
In California, persons authorized to perform marriages include:
- Commissioners of Civil Marriages
- Judges or retired judges (see CA Family Code 400 for specifics)
- A person that holds or formerly held an elected office of a city or county
- A member of the Legislature or constitutional officer of this state or a Member of Congress of the United States who represents a district within this state, or a former Member of the Legislature or constitutional officer of this state or a former Member of Congress of the United States who represented a district within this state
- Out-of-state or out-of-country priests, ministers, or clergy persons may perform marriages in California.
- Ships' captains do not have authority to solemnize California marriages unless they fall into one of the categories above.
For more information please see California Government Code 400-402
Civil Ceremonies by the County Clerk’s Office
- English and Spanish civil ceremonies are offered
- Ceremonies are performed by Deputy Marriage Commissioners who are also employees of the County Clerk-Recorder Office
- Ceremonies are by appointment only
- Fee is $60.00
- Couples getting married with a regular/public marriage license must bring at least one witness
- Couples with a confidential license do not need to bring a witness
Civil Ceremony Location Options
Ceremony Location options are not available at this time.
- Wedding Room
- Limit of 17 wedding guests
- Benches and standing areas
- No pets allowed
- Wedding Garden / Outside
- Weather permitting
- Variety of flowering shrubs and plants
- Pets are allowed
- No limit on number of guests - different areas fit different sizes
- Recommended no more than 20 guests for wedding garden
- You may choose anywhere on the block for the ceremony
- It is a public area, so members of the public may be present
County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor-Registrar of Voters
County Clerk-Recorder Office
Clerk-Recorder accepts payments by cash, checks, credit or debit cards.