5-1 Vehicle Use -
Use of Privately Owned Vehicles on County Business
Return to 5-1 Vehicle Use Policy Table of Contents
Approved: Board of Supervisors August 23, 2003
Authority: County Administrator
Revised Date: July 27, 2004
Read Next: Section II, 8: Policy, Other Rules
Section II, 7: Policy, Use of Privately Owned Vehicles on County Business
- Responsibility: Employees are encouraged to use County vehicles when they are available. Factors to be considered when deciding between the appropriate use a County vehicle vs. personal vehicle include: Availability of County vehicles, cost of a County vehicle vs. mileage reimbursement, the appropriateness of the vehicle for the required use and best use of employees’ time and operational efficiency. Departments are responsible for determining which option best meets the needs of the County.
- Insurance Requirements: Employees who drive a privately owned vehicle on County business must maintain automobile insurance that complies with the State of California minimum requirements for bodily injury and property damage. The employee shall insure that their level of insurance is appropriate for use of the vehicle for business.
- Primary Insurance Coverage: If an employee is involved in a collision or incident in a privately owned vehicle, while on authorized County business, the employee's automobile insurance is primary to any other coverage.
- Deductible Expense: When an employee is involved in a vehicle collision in their personal vehicle while on County business and it is determined, by the appropriate Law Enforcement Agency, that the employee is not at fault, the County will reimburse any insurance deductible expense up to a maximum of $500.
- Exclusive Use: No employee shall travel on County business exclusively in a privately owned vehicle without the written approval of his department head.
- Reimbursement Claims: When County employees use a privately owned vehicle on County business, they shall be reimbursed at the current published IRS reimbursement rate. Claims for mileage reimbursement shall be submitted on County claim forms and processed in accordance with the County Auditor procedures.
- Motorcycles: No employee shall operate a motorcycle on County business without specific authorization of the department head.
La Plaza A
2300 County Center Drive
Download a Printable Version