Agriculture Weights and Measures Banner

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I am having a problem with mosquitoes, who deals with them? Where can I get mosquito fish?

  • I found an injured bird, who deals with them?

  • I am interested in learning more about mushrooms/would like someone to identify mushrooms?

  • Where do I go if I have found a tick and want it tested for Lyme Disease?

    Sonoma County Public Health Laboratory, 3313 Chanate Road, Santa Rosa. Call the Tick Information Line (707) 565-4715 for general information on ticks.

  • I have bats in my home, what should I do?

    For information on Bat Management around the home see the USGS page on bat management. There are also several bat conservation organizations. If you are still interested in exterminating them, call a professional pest control company.

  • I have a swarm/nest of bees, who can help me?

    Report a swarm at the Sonoma County Beekeepers Association website and use the site to locate a beekeeper you can call who will remove unwanted hives from your property.

  • Who deals with dead animals on road/my premises?

    See a full listing of contacts on Sonoma County Animal Care and Control

  • Where do I go to have a bug/spider identified?

    First check out the University of California’s Integrated Pest Management website. Bring in a sample of the insect for possible identification by the UC Cooperative Extension’s Master Gardeners.

  • I have a TRAP in my tree. Why is the trap there?

    See our section on Pest Detection

  • What can I do about the mice/rats in my home/area?

    The UC Davis Integrated Pest Management websitehas great tips for controlling rats and mice:

    The Marin/Sonoma Mosquito and Vector Control District can answer calls regarding mice and rats and can be reached at (707) 285-2200 or (800) 231-3236.

  • What to do about gopher/mole problem in my yard or garden?

    Moles are insectivores, and do not feed on plants. Gophers do feed on plants. For more information, look at the UC IPM site on Gopher Control or contact the UC Cooperative Extension’s.

  • I would like to have a plant identified? I would like to determine the cause of a plant problem?

    Bring in a sample of the plant for possible identification by the UC Cooperative Extension’s Master Gardeners.

  • How do I find out what pesticide is being used nearby?

    Sonoma County Agricultural Commissioner's Office has a Records Request form (PDF: 225kB) for you to fill out and submit to our department. Records for much of the pesticides used are available at our office.

  • What/Where is Sudden Oak Death (SOD)?

    For the most complete/current information go to, or look at our pest exclusion area.

  • What can I do to get rid of yellow-jackets?

    There are commercial products available atretail garden centers, or you can call the Marin/Sonoma Mosquito and Vector Control District at (707) 285-2200 or (800) 231-3236.

  • I have a noise/smell complaint?

    Most agricultural smells and noises are generally considered “normal” operating practices. The County of Sonoma has adopted a “Right to Farm” ordinance that states, “normal agricultural operations will not be considered a nuisance”. We recommend initiating a dialogue with the grower you are concerned with. Most growers are willing to explain their practices and make efforts to reduce the effects of their activities on their neighbors.

Back to top

Contact Information

Department of Agriculture / Weights & Measures
Business Hours
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Closed 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

Main Office
133 Aviation Boulevard
Suite 110
Santa Rosa, CA 95403

Quick Links

Certified Farmers' Markets in Sonoma County

Produce Gardener

Locally grown, fresh fruit and vegetables benefit the consumer & the environment