In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
IHSS helps low-income elderly and people of any age living with a disability remain living safely and independently in their own homes. IHSS is an alternative to out-of-home care.
IHSS clients find, select and supervise their own caregivers. IHSS Payroll pays the wages of caregivers for providing services necessary to maintain safety and independence in their home.
Services are limited to tasks the client is unable to do on their own.
Important Notice During Local Emergency
Current In-Home Support Services Recipients can receive personal care or domestic services while at emergency shelters. IHSS providers can pick up medications, but cannot administer them. See website for details.
Medical Care at the shelters must be done by the on-site Public Health Nurse or call a Home Health Nurse or the person's doctor.
If a current in-home support services client cannot contact their current care provider and needs personal care help, call Urgent Substitute IHSS Provider Line at (707) 565-5719 or (800) 601-4222
For Providers: Self-Service IHSS Payroll
Who is Eligible for IHSS?
Legal California residents who live in their own homes and need assistance to remain safely at home, and (one of the following):
- Receive full-scope Medi-Cal.
- Meet the financial requirements for Medi-Cal (though do not have be receiving Medi-Cal).
- Receive SSI / SSP benefits (Supplemental Security Income / State Supplementary Payment).
Find more eligibility information through the California Department of Social Services.
What Kind of Help is Available?
When a person or couple is eligible for IHSS, a social worker comes to the home to assess the need for services. These may include:
- Domestic Services - sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, dusting and picking up.
- Related Domestic Services - meal preparation, meal clean-up, laundry and shopping.
- Personal Care - bathing, grooming, bowel and bladder care, feeding, dressing, respiration, ambulation, care and assistance with prosthetics and other services.
- Transportation - transportation to medical appointments.
- Protective Supervision - behavior monitoring due to chronic cognitive impairment.
- Paramedical - activities that are invasive to the body and are recommended by a physician.
Once Referred, What are the Next Steps?
Once IHSS receives a client referral and financial eligibility is determined, a social worker is assigned to the client. The social worker makes a home visit to assess the services the client needs to remain safely and independently at home. Needs are based on the client's individual medical condition or disability and level of ability.
After the client has been authorized for IHSS, their situation is reviewed annually during a home visit by the social worker. The client or social worker may request another assessment at any time if client changes affect the need for services.
How Do I Hire an IHSS Caregiver?
Clients are their caregivers' employers
Clients are responsible for finding, hiring, supervising, signing caregiver time sheets and firing their caregivers.
Once a caregiver is hired, IHSS Payroll process payments to caregivers, including notification of share of any cost (client co-payment)..
You can hire a caregiver who is:
To find a caregiver through the Public Authority Caregiver Registry, visit sonomacounty-ihsspa.org. Information about the clients is taken by phone, then a Provider Enrollment Form mailed to the caregiver for completion. The client and caregiver must both sign the Provider Enrollment Form before a time sheet is mailed to the caregiver.
How To Apply
Fax: (707) 565-5957
Anyone can refer a potential client to the IHSS Program. People may call for themselves, or a neighbor, family member, hospital staff or other community organization may also make a referral. The application process is handled by phone, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.
The process takes about 30 days:
- Call (707) 565-5900 to make a referral.
- Call is routed to the Initial Assessment Unit (IAU) who will describe the services available.
- An Eligibility Worker will screen referral for financial eligibility.
- If financial eligibility is met, a social worker contacts the client for a home visit to determine what services are needed.
IHSS Payroll: Sonoma Provider Payroll
Fax: (707) 565-5919
IHSS Payroll processes caregiver/provider time sheets to ensure prompt and accurate payments. In addition, IHSS Payroll also:
- Sends out timesheets and caregiver/provider packets
- Answers questions about payroll issues. For example, issues with paychecks, hours and time sheets
- Answers questions about how to start a caregiver/provider with IHSS.
Providers of care can get information about their timesheets and paychecks at (707) 565-2852 or online at sonomaproviderportal.org, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
To talk with someone in-person, call (707) 565-2852 Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., and choose to be transferred to a staff person.