In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
We sign-up eligible older adults and disabled persons -- from children to seniors-- for in-home care providers. They get help with day-to-day tasks they cannot do themselves through care that allows them to stay living safely at home rather than moving to a care facility. Anyone can refer a client to IHSS, including family members, medical professionals or the client themselves.
Our clients find, employ and supervise their own caregivers, while payment and payroll is overseen by IHSS Public Authority. IHSS PA also offers a registry of screened care providers for IHSS clients to choose from.
Who is Eligible for IHSS In-Home Care?
Legal California residents of all ages who:
- live in their own homes or rent,
- need caregiver help to remain safely and independently at home,
- and (one of the following):
- Receive full-scope Medi-Cal.
- Meet the financial requirements for Medi-Cal (though do not have be receiving Medi-Cal).
- Receive SSI / SSP benefits (Supplemental Security Income / State Supplementary Payment)
Find more eligibility information on the California Department of Social Services website.
How To Apply
(707) 565-5900, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.
Fax: (707) 565-5957
Anyone can call to refer a potential client for in-home care. People may call for themselves, or referrals can come from a neighbor, family member, hospital staff or other community organization. Completing the steps takes about 30 days:
- Call (707) 565-5900 to make a referral.
- The Initial Assessment Unit will describe what services IHSS offers.
After a Client is Referred
IHSS determines the client's eligibility.
Then, an IHSS social worker makes a home visit to assess the services and the number of hours of care the client needs. Services are based on the client's medical condition or disability, plus his or her level of ability.
The client's home situation is reviewed annually or when changes affect the person's need for services.
What Kind of Help Can I Get?
Clients may get help for daily tasks, such as:
- Domestic Services - sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, dusting and picking up
- Related Domestic Services - meal preparation, meal clean-up, laundry and shopping
- Personal Care - bathing, grooming, bowel and bladder care, feeding, dressing, respiration, ambulation and care and assistance with prosthetics
- Transportation - transportation to medical appointments
- Protective Supervision - behavior monitoring due to chronic cognitive impairment
- Paramedical - certain types of care recommended by a physician
How to Find a Caregiver
Caregivers are Employed by the Client
IHSS clients must find, hire and supervise their IHSS care provider. Like other employers, clients sign caregivers' time sheets and can fire their caregivers. Care providers are paid through IHSS Payroll. Clients may need to pay a share of cost or co-payment for services.
You can hire a caregiver who is a:
Once you choose who you'd like to hire, a Provider Enrollment Form mailed to the care provider. The client and caregiver must sign and submit the form before the caregiver begins work.
IHSS Payroll for Care Providers
Fax: (707) 565-5919
IHSS Payroll processes care provider time sheets and:
- Sends out time sheets and caregiver/provider packets,
- Answers questions about payroll issues. For example, issues with paychecks, hours and time sheets, and
- Answers questions about how to enroll a care provider with IHSS.
Care providers can learn about their time sheets and paychecks online at sonomaproviderportal.org, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To talk with the office, call (707) 565-2852 Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.