Fictitious Business Names
The staff of the Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office are forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.
The Clerk's Office Has Moved!
The County Clerk-Recorder Office is now located at:
585 Fiscal Dr., Room 103, Santa Rosa, CA 95403
The new Clerk-Recorder’s Office will provide essential services for residents in one location – vital records, recording services, land record information, official public records, marriage licenses & ceremonies, and fictitious business names.
Consumer Scam Alert!
Sonoma County business owners have received solicitations from a private company encouraging them to renew their Fictitious Business Name Statements for a fee of $150.00. Business owners can deal directly with the County Clerk’s Office when filing.
Search our online Index of Public Records. Fictitious Business Names, Official Public Records, Professional Registrations and more. Search Index now
Who must file a Fictitious Business Name Statement
∗ May also be filed in other counties as long as the requirements for filing in the county of principal place of business have been met
- If filing a Fictitious Business Name in the office, the individual filing the statement is required by law to show valid, government issued ID.
- Be certain the information in the statement is correct and complete before filing it.
- No changes can be made to the statement once it has been filed.
- Any changes would require the filing of a new statement, payment of the filing fees, and, if required, publication in a newspaper in Sonoma County.
- All information contained in the statement is a Public record, including your residence address.
- Anyone can purchase copies of the statement
- The Statement will expire after 5 years
- An expiration reminder notice will be sent to the mailing address on the Statement
- Any change except owner residence address requires a new filing, payment of applicable fees and republication within 30 days of the change
- Name must be abandoned if no longer in business by filing statement of abandonment, paying $31.00 fee, and publication
- State Law requires the disclosure of actual street addresses for the place of business and each owner's place of residence
- P.O. Boxes, postal suites, postal drop boxes, mailing suite, etc are not legally acceptable
- Fictitious Business Name Statement
- $40.00 for the first business name and first owner name
- $9.00 for each additional business or owner name
- Statement of Abandonment - $31.00
- Withdrawal from Partnership - $31.00
About Business Names
- Filing a Fictitious Business Name Statement does not reserve the name for your exclusive use.
- It is a consumer protection
- It is a requirement under Business & Professions Code § 17900.
- The County Clerk-Recorder cannot refuse to file a fictitious business name statement because the name is already being used by someone else.
- If there is a conflict between business owners using the same or similar names, it becomes a legal matter between the business owners.
Completing the Form
- Please read the instructions on the form carefully. Changes to the form cannot be made after the statement is filed.
- State Law requires the disclosure of actual street addresses for the place of business and EACH owner's place of residence
- Do not use a mailing address such as a P.O. Box, postal suite, postal drop box, mailing suite, etc.
- Business Address
- Use the address of the physical location of the principal place of business
- If you operate the business out of your home, use the home address
- If no street address is assigned, give the exact location of the business plus the rural route, slip number, or other number assigned
- Residence Address
- The owner’s street address must be listed under the registrant information, do not use a mailing address.
- For Corporations or LLC's:
- Registrant address can be the address listed on the registration paperwork with the Secretary of State
- The State of Incorporation must be listed
- Foreign Corporations or LLC's must be registered with the California Secretary of State
- FBNs must be filed in the Sonoma County Clerk-Recorder’s Office prior to publication
- Instructions on publication will be provided upon filing.
- All original filings as well as new filings with any changes from the previous filing must be published.
- First publication must begin within thirty (30) days of the date the statement was filed in the County Clerk's Office. Proof of publication must be filed in the County Clerk's Office.
- Please check with the newspaper to see if they will forward the original to our office for filing.
- Renewals that have NO changes from the previous statement do not require publication
Publication required once per week for four consecutive weeks in one of the adjudicated newspapers listed below:
For Further Information
To find out more about opening a small business in Sonoma County, please visit the Sonoma County Economic Development Board, Business Resources website
County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor-Registrar of Voters
County Clerk-Recorder Office
Fictitious Business Name Application and Forms
Clerk-Recorder accepts payments by cash, checks, credit or debit cards.
Public Records Search
Search Records Now
Search Online Index of Sonoma County Public Records
Search Our Online Index of Public Records: Official Public Records, Fictitious Business Names, Professional Registrations, CEQA Filings
Before Searching Older Records
When searching for a record prior to 2010, remember to use abbreviations; after January 1, 2010, search under the exact name of the person or company.
1964-1989 Records Cross-Reference
1990-2010 Record Cross-Reference