- Meet with a design professional.*
- Retrieve original plans or start from scratch.
- Consider design changes such as adding an accessory dwelling unit or a junior unit.
- If applicable, verify condition of the property’s septic system and consider sewer hook up options. Find out more about Well, Septic, and Sewer for rebuilding.
- Finalize design and obtain a code compliant set of drawings. The new design does not need to use the floor plan or footprint of the previous building.
- If applicable, coordinate any necessary reviews with your homeowner’s association (HOA).
*At a minimum, a simple home design would require the following design professionals: a designer, and a Calgreen and Energy consultant. More complex designs would require an architect, a civil engineer, a geotechnical engineer, and a Calgreen and Energy consultant. Note: The majority of rebuilt homes in the burn areas will require a geotechnical engineer to evaluate the soils. A septic consultant will be required to evaluate the functionality of the existing septic system.
Tip: Now is a great time to begin interviewing and selecting a licensed contractor. Visit the North Coast Builders Exchange at ncbeonline.com for more resources.
Next Step: Permitting & Review