Rebuilding Together

Suspension of New Permits for Vacation Rentals and Hosted Rentals

Published:  October 26, 2017

On October 24, 2017, the County of Sonoma Board of Supervisors adopted an Urgency Ordinance Urgency Ordinance (PDF: 143 kB) to enact a 45-day moratorium on the issuance of any new vacation rental or hosted rental permits to facilitate emergency housing for persons displaced by the Sonoma Complex Fire. The moratorium is subject to extension for periods of up to two years.

The ordinance is intended to temporarily preserve the County’s existing single-family residences and accessory dwellings for permanent residential and long-term rental uses. The ordinance finds that conversion of these dwellings to vacation rentals or hosted rentals would contribute to the existing housing emergency.

For this reason, the Vacation Rental customer service desk located at Permit Sonoma will be temporarily closed.

Please remember that a vacation rental or hosted rental is defined as a rental of 30 days or less and is subject to Transient Occupancy Tax. If you are interested in renting your home for 31 days or more, you may do so without the issuance of a permit and are not subject to Transient Occupancy Tax.

View Urgency Ordinance (PDF: 143 kB)

Existing Permits

The ordinance does not affect existing vacation rental and hosted rental permits that have been approved and issued.

Coastal Zone

Coastal Zone properties (e.g., properties located in The Sea Ranch, Jenner, Bodega Bay, Duncan Mills, etc.) are exempt from the 45 day moratorium approved by the Board of Supervisors on October 24, 2017. Coastal Zone vacation rental properties are required to be registered with the Transient Occupancy Tax Program.

Help Fire Evacuees

If you are interested in providing your home to fire evacuees, you may contact our housing email at:


For further questions relating to vacation rentals, you may contact the Vacation Rental Hotline at (707) 565-1932 or email

All questions related to Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) should be directed to the TOT Program at (707) 565-7133 or

Permit Sonoma

Go to Permit Sonoma

Permit Sonoma

Permit Sonoma handles construction and land use permitting for unincorporated Sonoma County including rebuilding after disasters.

One couple's experience