The second set in a series of three housing initiatives brought forward by Permit Sonoma in 2018.
These initiatives include code changes to expand opportunities for housing development in urban service areas, including:
- Simplify development standards for multi-family housing projects;
- Allow higher densities near jobs and transit through provision of a new Workforce Housing Combining Zone;
- Provide a new housing type called Cottage Housing Developments that will provide multi-unit housing in the style, scale, and size of single-family homes, in low- and medium-density neighborhoods;
- Allow use of a new density unit equivalent concept to encourage more smaller rental units and fewer larger units; and
- Codify existing condominium conversion policy and better protections for residents in rental mobile home parks.
Staff completed an initial study for this phase of the project and determined that the adoption of the proposed code changes would not result in significant impacts on the environment and a Negative Declaration is appropriate.
The Planning Commission recommended approval of these code changes on August 30, 2018, and the Board of Supervisors will consider them on October 23.
For more information, please see the Housing Initiatives website, and email HousingInitiatives@sonoma-county.org