Junior Accessory Dwelling Units

Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs) are a very small living unit (up to 500 square feet) created out of a bedroom within an existing single family home.

Accessory Dwelling Units vs. Junior Accessory Dwelling Units

Find out which situation applies to your property.



  • Located in an existing single-family dwelling.
  • Created within an existing, legal bedroom.
  • Maximum size of 500 square feet.
  • Has an efficiency kitchen. (See "Efficiency kitchen" Sec. 26-02-140)
  • Has a separate exterior entrance.
  • Still has the interior door to the house.
  • Private or shared bathroom okay.
  • No extra parking required!
  • May be rented, but no short-term rental is allowed.

Accessory Dwelling Units vs. Junior Accessory Dwelling Units

Find out which situation applies to your property.



Junior accessory dwelling units are allowed within an existing single-family dwelling in the following zoning districts.

Find Your Zoning

↓↑ Sort Column Alphabetically: Select the column title of the column you want to sort.


  • Junior units may be rented separately.
  • Junior units may not be rented on a transient occupancy basis (less than 30 days), so they cannot be used as vacation rentals.
  • The owner must live in the house or junior unit. This does not apply if the house is owned by a public agency, land trust, or non-profit housing organization.
  • A junior unit must be installed after construction of the single family dwelling.
  • One junior unit is allowed per parcel.

Permits and Fees

  • Most junior units are approved over the counter with just a building permit after a deed restriction has been recorded with the County Recorder.
  • Junior units are not separate dwelling units and don’t require building or fire code upgrades or separate utility connections.
  • Junior units don’t pay impact fees, such as traffic and school fees.
  • Junior units must be connected to a septic system or the sewer.

CALGreen Checklist Residential Additions and Alterations PJR-057 (PDF: 216 kB)

Contact Information

Contact Us by Phone
2550 Ventura Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.46514, -122.723671

State ADU Law

California Department of Housing and Community Development's web site describing state laws and regulations about Accessory Dwelling Units.

View State Web Site

Housing for All Strategy

Learn More

multi-unit housing

The County's strategic priority to ensure housing for all income levels.

Find My Property's Zoning

Learn More

Zoning Map

Instructions for finding your zoning by address or parcel number.