Permit Sonoma's Records Section retains and provides public access to permit records for properties located within the unincorporated areas of Sonoma County. Services include:
- A staffed Records Counter for in-person lookup of a property's permit records.
- Kiosks in the Public Lobby so you can perform your own research without waiting for the Counter (including finding scanned permit-related documents via the Alchemy Web tool).
- Online Permit History Lookup so you can perform research from the comfort of your own home.
Records Search – Things to Know
- Permit Sonoma (PRMD) has jurisdiction for the unincorporated areas of Sonoma County only. Records for properties located within city limits will be found at that city jurisdiction, with the following possible exceptions:
Building Permits: Permit Sonoma started issuing Building permits in 1959 for Commercial, Industrial, and some Urban Residential structures. In February of 1963, Uniform Codes were adopted requiring building permits for all Residential structures. Prior to these dates, records of construction (not permits) may be found at the Sonoma County Assessor’s Office.Well Permits: Permit Sonoma started issuing Well permits in 1973. Well information prior to 1973 is located with the State of California at the Department of Water Resources.
- Well & Septic: Permit Sonoma has jurisdiction for Well & Septic permits for both the unincorporated areas of the County and all cities.
- Annexation: Permits obtained prior to an annexation may be located either at Permit Sonoma or the city that did the annexation.
- All paper Records behind the counter are ultimately stored by the address of record at the time a permit is issued. Permit Sonoma staff can search by parcel, owner, and record number, but only in an effort to cross reference the address. Providing an accurate address will speed up the search.
- You can look up and print a Permit History report from our website using our Permit History Lookup.
- When conducting a Permit History search, the most accurate result is achieved by searching all known addresses and parcel numbers associated with the property.
- If records are indicated as “Scanned” in the Permit History report, they can be found electronically at the Kiosk computers in our Public Lobby.
- For older permits, the Permit History itself may be the only record Permit Sonoma has of a permit.
- A thorough search will include:
- All paper file locations in our building
- Our offsite storage facility
- The electronic document systems (AlchemyWeb and Accela)
- Microfiche/microfilm cards
- The older microfilm reels located behind the Records desk
If you are having difficulty, please be sure to mention all of these locations to staff.
We are currently undergoing a record digitization effort. When finished, all records will be available electronically and online. We appreciate your patience as we locate just what you are looking for.
Records Counter & Kiosk Hours
- Monday – Tuesday,
Thursday – Friday
- 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- 10:30 AM – 4:00 PM
2550 Ventura Avenue
Permit Sonoma Resources
Permit History Lookup
Search by a property's address or parcel number.
Obtain certain permits online, pay permit fees, schedule inspections, find your property's zoning. Also utilize mobile apps.
Public Records Act Requests
The Public Records Act allows the public to inspect and request copies of qualifying public records prepared or retained by any public agency.
Local City Jurisdictions
Local City Building Departments
Find records for properties within city limits or were annexed by a city.
Find records of construction for structures built before 1959 (non-residential) and before 1963 (residential).
California Department of Water Resources
Find well information for wells constructed before 1973.