Permit and Resource Management Department Banner

Vacation Rentals Complaints

Submit a Complaint

If you experience problems with a nearby vacation rental property in unincorporated Sonoma County, follow this process for submitting a complaint:

  1. Call the vacation rental's property manager informing them of the problem. To find the property manager's phone number:
    1. Go to the Permit History Lookup and search for the property address.
    2. Look for permits containing "Vacation Rental" in the Description. The property manager's phone number should also be listed in the Description and may be called 24/7.
      • If there is no permit on file: Call the Sheriff's Department non-emergency number and report the problem to them.

        Important: Do not put yourself in harm's way when making a complaint. Call 911 if you feel your safety is in jeopardy or there is an emergency.
      • Additionally, if you suspect the vacation rental is being operated without a permit: Report the code violation to Code Enforcement.
  2. The property manager is responsible for contacting the renters to correct the problem within 1 hour or within 30 minutes during quiet hours. Quiet hours are from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM.
  3. If the issue is not resolved during the required timeframe, submit a complaint online to Permit Sonoma using the complaint form located below:
    • In describing your complaint, be specific. Don't say: "It's always loud over there." Instead say something like: "Loud music was played from midnight until 2am on Saturday, March 5, 2016." or "Amplified music went on for 2 hours after I called the property manager at midnight on Saturday, March 5, 2016."
    • Be sure to use the specific date and time of the incident and the date and time you called the property manager.
    • Enter the full address of the property. For complaints about more than one property, please submit a separate complaint for each property.

    Submit a Complaint About a Vacation Rental (PDF Form: 154 kB)
    Please open separately in a PDF reader software (such as Adobe Reader), or view by using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome web browsers. Fillable PDF forms are not compatible with Mozilla FireFox or Apple Safari web browsers.

Vacation Rental Complaint Handout (PDF: 27 kB) – Provides more information about Vacation Rental complaints

Contact Information

Business Hours
Monday – Tuesday,
Thursday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
10:30 AM – 4:00 PM

Holiday Closure Calendar

Contact us by Phone
Permit Sonoma
2550 Ventura Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.465225, -122.723293

More Resources

Sonoma County Transient Occupancy Tax
Information and Forms

Permit History Lookup
Find out if an address has a Vacation Rental Permit, and find out the Property Manager's 24/7 phone number.

Zoning Information
Find out your property's zoning or if the Williamson Act Land Contract applies.


Some content on this page is saved in alternate format. To view these files, download the following software.

Windows Media Player   Windows Media® Player for Windows, Flip4MAC for MAC OSX
Compressed ZIP Archive   WinZip® for downloading compressed files
Return to top of page
Return to top of page