This month, the EPA held its annual SepticSmart Week with outreach activities to encourage homeowners and communities to care for and maintain their septic systems. Here are SepticSmart’s top 5 tips:
- Think at the Sink: Avoid pouring fats, grease and solids down the drain.
- Don’t Overload the Commode: Only put things in the drain or toilet that belong there.
- Don’t Strain Your Drain: Be water efficient and spread out water use.
- Shield Your Field: Remind guests not to park or drive on a system’s drainfield, where weight could cause damage.
- Test Your Well: If you’re on a well, test the water annually.
Visit the EPA’s septic webpage to find resources and information on septic systems.
Here in Sonoma County, we ask homeowners to monitor your septic system twice per year. This information helps Permit Sonoma staff in site evaluation and also enables us to catch any problems early on to help ensure the longevity of your septic system. Here are instructions on how to monitor a non-standard septic system.