As established by the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, IOLERO is charged with a number of duties. Among them are the following:
- Accept complaints of misconduct against deputies of the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office;
- Review administrative investigations conducted by the Sheriff’s Office for thoroughness, fairness, and timeliness;
- Develop a mediation process for resolving some complaints;
- Develop recommendations to improve Sheriff’s Office policies and procedures;
- Conduct a robust program of community outreach and education;
- Compile and analyze data on complaints to IOLERO, and analyze data on law enforcement encounters, to identify trends and correlations;
- Prepare annual reports for the public and the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors.