Physical activity plays an important role in maintaining good health and a healthy weight. If physical activity can be enjoyable for children and teens, it will help them develop a lifelong appreciation for its benefits.
Active Play Gets Kids Moving!
- Provide time for physical activities for your child everyday.
- The type of active play depends on your child's development and age.
- Encourage, but don't push too hard if your child doesn't want to do something.
- Be safe. Use safety equipment, like a helmet, to prevent injuries.
- Be active together as a family. Parents are strong role models.
Things you can do with your child:
- Kick, toss, or catch a ball
- Jump, hop, skip or run
- Pedal a tricycle
- Dance to music
- "Tag and Youre It"
- Play Hopscotch
- Crawl through a homemade obstacle course
- Build a sandcastle
- Pick up toys
- Go for a walk
- Help around the house or in the garden
Places to Call for Group Activities
Ask for scholarship information if financial assistance is needed.
- Parks and Recreation are listed in the light blue front section of the phone book under:
- City Government Offices Recreation & Parks
- County Government Offices Parks Department
- California State Government Offices Parks & Recreation Department
- United States Government Offices Physical activity information 1-888-232-4674
These Fitness Fun Guides, developed by the Sonoma County Family Nutrition Task Force, provide information on the many ways families can participate in physical activity.