Pet Dogs in Outdoor Dining Areas
Assembly Bill 1965 amended the California Health and Safety Code to allow pet dogs in outdoor dining areas. Please note that this only applies to pet dogs; other animals such as cats, birds, or reptiles are not permitted. Service animals or dogs under the control of a uniformed law enforcement officer or uniformed employees of private patrol operations are exempt from these requirements.
Requirements to allow pet dogs in the outdoor dining or patio area of a food facility:
- The owner of the food facility elects to allow pet dogs in its outdoor dining area.
- A separate outdoor entrance is present where pet dogs enter without going through the food establishment to reach the outdoor dining or patio area.
- Pet dogs shall not be allowed on chairs, seats, benches, tables or other fixtures.
- No food preparation shall be allowed in the outdoor dining or patio area, including dispensing and/or mixing of drinks and ice.
- Food and water served and/or provided to pet dogs shall only be in single-use, disposable containers.
- Employees shall be prohibited from having direct contact with pets while on duty.
- The outdoor dining or patio area shall be clean and well maintained.
- In cases where excrement or other bodily fluids (urine, saliva, or vomit) are deposited, an employee shall immediately clean and sanitize the affected areas.
- The pet dog shall either be on a leash or confined in a pet carrier under the control of its owner.
- Multi-use or reusable utensils, such as plates, silverware, glasses, and bowls, shall not be stored, displayed, or pre-set in the outdoor dining area.
- The outdoor dining area shall not be fully enclosed (Note: a fully enclosed dining area shall be considered as part of the interior of the facility).
- Business operators must still follow local ordinances related to sidewalk, public nuisance, and sanitation issues.
625 5th Street
Report a Complaint, Hazard or Nuisance
The California Retail Food Code
CalCode establishes uniform statewide health and sanitation standards for retail food facilities.
Marine Biotoxin Monitoring Reports