Food Truck or Cart Permit

You need a mobile food facility permit if:

  • you sell or distribute food from a vehicle or cart and prepare food at a commissary or other permanent food facility.
  • you want to operate on a route or park at a location not in conjunction with a community event.

If you will only be operating in conjunction with a community event such as a farmers market then you need a temporary food facility permit

Contact an inspector before purchasing a mobile food facility permit to insure it meets current food code requirements.

Requirements change over time; please contact Environmental Health & Safety for current standards.

Who Needs a Mobile Food Facility Permit?

Types of mobile food facilities include trucks or trailers, examples include:

  • Hot truck
  • Cold truck
  • Ice cream truck
  • Espresso cart
  • Hot dog/tamale cart
  • Ice cream cart

Submit Your Application Packet

Your permit application should include:

Download entire application packet for trucks (PDF: 1,025 KB)
Download entire application packet for carts (PDF: 1,081 KB)

Resources for Facility Owners

Contact Information

Public Health Division
County of Sonoma
Business Hours
Monday – Friday
7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Contact us by Phone
Office Location
625 5th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
38.44178, -122.7158781

Report a Complaint, Hazard or Nuisance

The California Retail Food Code

Download CalCode [PDF]
CalCode establishes uniform statewide health and sanitation standards for retail food facilities.


Some content on this page is saved in alternate format. To view these files, download the following software.

Windows Media Player   Windows Media® Player for Windows, Flip4MAC for MAC OSX
Compressed ZIP Archive   WinZip® for downloading compressed files
Return to top of page
Return to top of page