Community Event Guidelines for Sampling Food
These guidelines are for food facilities and demonstrators providing samples of processed food products to the public at a community event. These guidelines are designed to help ensure that food samples for the public are safe and unadulterated.
- Food intended for samples shall be handled so as to be pure, free from contamination, adulteration, and spoilage.
- All food shall have been obtained from approved sources.
- Sampling shall be done in such a way as to prevent customers from touching, coughing or sneezing on food meant for others.
- Keep samples in approved clean, covered containers. A clear plastic container with a hinged lid, or a plate with a clear dome cover, provides effective protection from contamination while allowing the customer to see the product.
- Potentially hazardous foods shall be kept at or below 45°F, or at or above 135°F.
- Handwashing facilities, with single-service soap and paper towels, must be readily available for use near each location where products are being cut into samples.
- Waste shall be contained to minimize odor and insect development. Provide leak-proof garbage receptacles with close-fitting lids at each area/booth for disposal of pits, peels, food waste, and rubbish.
- Utensils and cutting surfaces shall be washed, rinsed and sanitized every four hours during use. For sanitizing, provide a chlorine solution of one tablespoon or capful of liquid bleach per gallon of water.
- Approved cutting surfaces shall be smooth, non-absorbent, and easily cleanable.
- Clean, potable water shall be used for washing food and food contact surfaces.
- Wash water and/or wastewater must be disposed of into an approved sewage system or holding tank and must not be discharged onto the ground.
- Toothpicks or disposable utensils shall be used to distribute samples to minimize hand contact.
625 5th Street
Report a Complaint, Hazard or Nuisance
The California Retail Food Code
Download CalCode [PDF]
CalCode establishes uniform statewide health and sanitation standards for retail food facilities.
Marine Biotoxin Monitoring Reports