Body Art Permits
Body art facilities must obtain a health permit and practitioners must register to provide body art services in Sonoma County.
Facility and Practitioner Requirements
All business owners/operators of fixed facilities, mobile units, and temporary events must obtain a health permit annually.
All body artists must be registered annually.
All facilities and practitioners must operate in accordance with the California Health and Safety Code, Sections 119300-119327.
All permitted facilities will receive annual inspections.
Apply for a Facility Permit
- Submit a completed Body Art Facility Permit Application
- Submit the appropriate fee payable to Sonoma County Environmental Health and Safety.
- Submit a copy of the facility Infection Prevention Control Planas required by the California Health and Safety Code, Section 119313.
- Facility Plans must be submitted and approved for new construction or remodel of a facility.
When all of these requirements are approved, the owner/operator will receive a health permit for the facility. The health permit is valid for one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed annually. The health permit shall be posted in a conspicuous place in the facility.
Apply for a Practitioner Permit
- Submit a completed Body Art Practitioner Permit Application
- Submit the appropriate fee payable to the Sonoma County Environmental Health and Safety.
- As a condition of registration, all applicants shall provide:
First time registrants shall also submit the following documents:
- Evidence of completion of OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Training within the last 12 months.
- Evidence of current hepatitis B vaccination, including applicable boosters, unless the practitioner can demonstrate hepatitis B immunity, or a hepatitis B declination form.
- Proof of 18 years of age or older
When all these conditions are met, the registrant will be issued a registration certificate. Registration is valid for one year from the date of issuance and allows the artist to practice within Sonoma County at any permitted body art facility.
Practitioners must be registered with Sonoma County Environmental Health & Safety prior to practicing body art in Sonoma County. Practitioners are required to renew their registration annually and display the registration certificate in the body art facility where the practitioner is performing body art.
Bloodborne Pathogen Training Providers
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to questions about body art regulation in Sonoma County.