The staff of the Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office are forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.
To ensure same day recording of your documents, please be sure we have them by 4:00 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and by 3:00 p.m. Wednesdays.
About Recording Requirements
- Certain requirements apply to almost any document(s) you want to record.
- Please make sure to take these requirements into consideration as you prepare your document(s) for recording in order to facilitate timely recording of your document(s) and to avoid unnecessary penalties at recording time.
- The Recorder's Office does not have forms and cannot provide advice on how a document should be completed. The Sacramento Law Library is a free resource for many forms.
Please visit the Recorder Fee Schedule page for information about Recording Fees, Notification Fees, Copy Fees, Taxes and other important details.
Visit Recorder Fee Schedule page »
General Recording Requirements
- Documents Transferring Title
- Documents transferring title must contain the Assessor's Parcel Number (APN) and must be accompanied by a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report.(PDF: 262 kB)
- Documents must be clearly readable and capable of producing a legible microfilm record.
- Names Under Signatures
- Names must be printed or typed under all signatures and business names.
- Notary Acknowledgement
- Documents affecting title to real property must be properly acknowledged.
- Documents shall be identified as to type.
- Names of parties to be indexed must be contained in the document.
- Return Address
- Only enter the address to which the document is being returned in this area leaving a 2 inch margin from top of page. Address for mailing tax statements should be at the bottom of the first page of the document.
Address for Delivery
Your document accompanied by the proper fees can be delivered to:
Sonoma County Recorder
585 Fiscal Drive, Suite 103F
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Our mailing address is:
Sonoma County Recorder
P.O. Box 1709
Santa Rosa, CA 95402
Depending on the type of document, additional requirements may apply.
Negotiable Instruments such as
- Birth Certificates
- Death Certificates
- Citizenship Papers
County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor-Registrar of Voters
585 Fiscal Drive
Clerk-Recorder accepts payments by cash, checks, credit or debit cards.
Re-recording Corrective Affidavit
Corrective Affidavit for Minor Correction
Corrective Affidavit for re-recording due to minor correction pursuant to
Government Code Section 27201
Public Records Search
Search Online Index of Sonoma County Public Records
Search Our Online Index of Public Records: Official Public Records, Fictitious Business Names, Professional Registrations, CEQA Filings