The staff of the Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office are forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.
The Clerk's Office is Moving
As of July 1, 2017, the County Clerk Office will be moving to 585 Fiscal Dr., Room 103, Santa Rosa, CA 95403.
The new Clerk-Recorder’s Office will provide essential services for residents in one location – vital records, recording services, land record information, official public records, marriage licenses & ceremonies, and fictitious business names.
Who Can Perform Marriages
In California, persons authorized to perform marriages include:
- Commissioners of Civil Marriages
- Judges or retired judges (see CA Family Code 400 for specifics)
- A person that holds or formerly held an elected office of a city or county
- A member of the Legislature or constitutional officer of this state or a Member of Congress of the United States who represents a district within this state, or a former Member of the Legislature or constitutional officer of this state or a former Member of Congress of the United States who represented a district within this state
- Out-of-state or out-of-country priests, ministers, or clergy persons may perform marriages in California.
- Ships' captains do not have authority to solemnize California marriages unless they fall into one of the categories above.
For more information please se CA Government Code 400-402
Civil Ceremonies at the County Clerk’s Office
- English and Spanish civil ceremonies are offered
- Ceremonies are performed by Deputy Marriage Commissioners who are also employees of the County Clerk’s Office
- Ceremonies are by appointment only
- Fee is $56.00
- Couples getting married with a regular/public marriage license must bring at least one witness
- Couples with a confidential license do not need to bring a witness
Civil Ceremony Location Options
- Wedding Room
- Limit of 17 wedding guests
- Benches and standing areas
- No pets allowed
- Weather permitting
- Variety of flowering shrubs and plants
- Pets are allowed
- No limit on number of guests
- Courtyard is a public area, so members of the public may be present
Sonoma County Clerk
County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor-Registrar of Voters
2300 County Center Drive
Clerk-Recorder accepts payments by cash, checks, credit or debit cards.